Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Was Just Delayed By Another Week

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Was Just Delayed By Another Week

Fedora 21 won't even see its alpha release until September now, it's been delayed by a month compared to when it originally shipped, and there's no guarantee that this is even the last delay to be seen by this long-awaited release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The open drivers have never worked with my 30" Dell LCD, and now the proprietary driver RPM isn't being maintained for Fedora 20, so I'm staying on 19. Assuming the open drivers in Fedora 21 still won't work, I don't know what I'm going to do, as Fedora ugprades their kernel so often as to make manually reinstalling the binary driver every time a nightmare.

Maybe I'll switch to CentOS 7 or something until KDE5 runs on Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
      The open drivers have never worked with my 30" Dell LCD, and now the proprietary driver RPM isn't being maintained for Fedora 20, so I'm staying on 19. Assuming the open drivers in Fedora 21 still won't work, I don't know what I'm going to do, as Fedora ugprades their kernel so often as to make manually reinstalling the binary driver every time a nightmare.

Maybe I'll switch to CentOS 7 or something until KDE5 runs on Wayland by default.
      Ever try to debug why the drivers failed on your monitor Maybe bad EDID info reported by your monitor? if thats the case you can just make a custom xorg.conf.d file that overrides the 'auto detection'
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Ever try to debug why the drivers failed on your monitor Maybe bad EDID info reported by your monitor?
        Oh, yeah, I've tried debugging and forcing modelines and all that for years. I can get it working at half-resolution, but for it's native 2560x1600 it requires the dual-link DVI bandwidth, and I don't think the open driver is properly initializing the hardware for that second link on most cards.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I've tried debugging and forcing modelines and all that for years. I can get it working at half-resolution, but for it's native 2560x1600 it requires the dual-link DVI bandwidth, and I don't think the open driver is properly initializing the hardware for that second link on most cards.
          Might be useful to file a bug report with the logs. If you have already filed one, please post a reference.

Comment

what kernel will F21 ship ?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              what kernel will F21 ship ?
              3.16 for sure, 3.17 possibly. Keep in mind Fedora has no problems updating the kernel post-release so no matter what they ship with you will eventually get the newer kernel as long as your release is supported.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Eric, I hope you have filed a bug report in regards to your troubles.

Comment

Then just install the .run file directly from AMD's website and cease all kernel updates. Which is more important, a working display or an up to date kernel?

Comment

From official AMD website.
                    Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.13)
                    So using the .run with a fresh kernel it at your own risk.

RPM Fusion used to update it's amd kmod stuff after every kernel update which was pretty usefull.

I used Fedora since Fedora 16 with the rpm amd driver from rpmfusion without any issue. However, with Fedora 19 the driver didn't worked fine with several games , so I skiped this version. Fedora 20 wasn't even supported on rpmfusion. Since january and of life of Fedora 18 I just ended up by switching distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X