Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operating System U Now Solicits Community Ideas

Phoronix: Operating System U Now Solicits Community Ideas

Operating System U, the newest distribution out there that plans for commercial opportunities with laptop pre-loads and is powered by Arch Linux and Wayland, is now soliciting development ideas from the community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can see their effort form that spreadsheet. But I have to say their goal, especially wayland, may probably be a little too far. It has taken gnome more than a year (and will take more) to fully port to wayland. I wonder if they have known how wayland works yet.
    Anyway, their effort reminds me of the crazy idea of creating a Linux distribution which several of my friends and I had when I was 17...

Comment

Originally posted by jdbrown View Post
      It has taken gnome more than a year (and will take more) to fully port to wayland.
      A lot more than a year.... they've been focusing more on the Wayland port in the past year, but there's been background work going on for several years before that.

In part, at least, some of the API cleanups in Gtk3 / Gnome3 were done with portability in mind - not necessarily to Wayland (although that project has been bubbling away for 5-6 years now), but to *some* successor to X11. Things like moving away from panel applets built around XEmbed, adding wrapper APIs to reduce direct use of X11 code, that sort of thing.

Comment

Oh please Phoronix, aren't you giving too much coverage in this script-kiddie "revolutionary" Linux distribution *plan* ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdbrown View Post
          Anyway, their effort reminds me of the crazy idea of creating a Linux distribution which several of my friends and I had when I was 17...
          So you failed and this is why you want him to fail?
          Old ponies who deny youngsters success because they should get in row?
          What about many other entrepreneurship that were started by 17-30 year olds?

A man should be judged by his deeds, not by his age. I wish this guy success and a HUGE shit-shield.

Comment

Community Engagement?

As I said before I have a unique point of view on this. I am an Arch Linux TU and MATE developer. I am also the maintainer for MATE on Arch Linux.

None of the individuals involved with Operating System U have approached Arch or MATE, nor contributed to either project, as far as I can tell. I'd also like to highlight that we (the MATE team) have not completed adding support for GTK3 to MATE, although that is a roadmap item due for completion in MATE 1.10 and a precursor to adding Wayland support.

I can only imagine that the Operating System U team are about to submit some massive pull-requests to the MATE project what with the "CEO" proclaiming to be such an Open Source enthusiast. If Operating System U are to be taken seriously I'd like to see some proper community engagement first.

There is no evidence that OSu have done anything toward this project other than throw up a website and launch a crowd funding campaign. I'm all for experimentation in the Open Source community but the OSu team should be engaging with the teams whose work they intend to build on first.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              A man should be judged by his deeds, not by his age.
              I didn't mean to hope they fail. Actually, I agree with you at this point and I'd be really happy if they eventually succeeded in this job.

But just as Delgarde and flexiondotorg said, porting a DE to wayland is no easy job (especially MATE, since it is presently full of X stuff and not in a portable shape yet), and no community engagement has been seen. That's the real problem.

Comment

until i see some code or anything working anything at all, i will feel this is a scam and it will fail completly.
                sorry but this is reality...

you cant some show up make some promises and ask for money, we aint that stupid (i think...)
                also change that name, its one or even the worst OS name ive seen.

theres your feedback, change name and dont ask money without showing something.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                  you cant some show up make some promises and ask for money, we aint that stupid (i think...)
                  also change that name, its one or even the worst OS name ive seen
                  Well they did show up and Phoronix's given them publicity. The name could be worse .. System D springs to mind

Now I don't get why ARCH + Mate + Wayland.. if they want to try something new and light, why not go with ARCH+Qt5+LXDE where at least Wayland is underway, and it may be viable on lower end H/W or tie in with the growing Qt ecosystem.

GTK3+ has lost projects, because GNOME3 developers see it as their mission to do what suits GNOME3 without regard to 3rd party applications. The more GNOME3 dominated GTK+ gets, the more this cycle reinforces itself, with less contributions from outside GNOME3 project.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    A man should be judged by his deeds, not by his age. I wish this guy success and a HUGE shit-shield.
                    Brosis, I don't think anybody here is actively hoping for this project to fail. On the other hand, if you've followed the Linux landscape for a while, you know that lofty ideas alone won't make this project a success. The info sofar point to a severe underestimation of the work needed to even get a pre-alpha OSu to the proof of concept stage.

A userfriendly and stable distribution based on Arch, which has MATE running on Wayland, with a custom menu/search application. That alone is a tall order. How long has Manjaro been busy getting their userfriendly distro, based on Arch, just right? OSu is planning to do that in less than 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I like the enthusiasm, but common sense dictates that if this project doesn't fade away in the planning phase, it'll be at least a year before they have something that can be tested by enthusiasts in a VM. Getting MATE alone to run on Wayland entails getting it on GTK3 and writing/porting to a Wayland compositor to get the graphics out to the graphics card. They could go the XMir route and run the whole DE under a patched XWayland instance, but that wouldn't exactly be MATE running on Wayland.

Their ambition to get this thing preloaded on laptops, netbooks and the like is a crazy good idea. It's what Linux needs the most, preloaded machines out there. But the preload business should be a long term goal. First get OSu toghether, then have a userbase and support structure and be profitable. Only after all that, can a company start thinking about OEM deals. It is hard to sell and run just nice ideas on physical hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X