The Latest Distro Trying For Commercial Success Uses Arch & Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
    There is truth to that I believe. I remember arguing hard on a forum ten years ago that we should make it dead easy to install nivida driver on linux. Some disagreed strongly with me. Then Ubuntu came around delivering on it, making it dead easy to install a number of proprietary drivers. Ten years later my view of the right balance has shifted significantly in the direction of "free-is-important". There are several reasons for my change of opinion, which can shortly be summarized- as follows:
    -easy installation of proprietary drivers (or apps) did nothing for the linux desktop (actually it only exposed us to risk by trusting the faith of the linux desktop into the hands of Canonical)
    -the real challenges of the linux desktop have little or nothing to do with how easy (or difficult) we make it for proprietary software. Debian simply leaves it to every vendor to package and distribute their stuff if it is proprietary, I believe that is sufficient.
    -Ten years later, what still gives me hope for the linux desktop is all those who valued the freedom, and what that brought (open graphics drivers that work, open wireless drivers almost across the board pioneered by Luis Rodriguez, pulseaudio clearing up the sound mess, systemd finally cleaning up the remaining plumming, fantastic suite of free productivity applications maturing, etc). But yes, I do acknowledge that Steam is an important part of making the linux desktop viable.
    Ubuntu was released in 2004. Do you remember what open source driver support for video drivers was like a decade ago? It is easy to say now that open source drivers are sufficient, when we have Intel and radeon and nouveau, but the choice a decade ago was to either accept propriety drivers or to not use Linux (yes, I know there were some open source drivers, but not for most user's hardware). And few would argue that Linux+propriety video was a worse compromise than telling people they should forget about Linux and stick with Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      It seems people don't even want Macs. Apple is now a fourth-place laptop shipper and their Mac business is declining.
      Rise of the tablet combined with lessened need for annual hardware upgrades. Business for every desktop and laptop manufacturer is declining. Also "want" is not the same as "willing to pay for". There are many other hardware manufacturers who would love to be in fourth place.

Having said that, Apple's decline might be inevitable. Their business model relies on being one step ahead of the pack to justify the price premium. When the others catch up and you can get similar looking and spec laptops for a significant discount from other retailers then many people will stop paying the premium.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
        OP was right. People want Macs, not OS X. If Apple shipped a themed version of Windows, instead of OSX, people would still buy Macbooks.
        dream on

Comment

OSu will also utilize the startlight, a fusion of Window's start button and Apple's spotlight. This creates a familiar and easy experience for users.
          "StartLight" or "startlight?" It's "Start," not "start." Isn't "Start" a registered trademark of Microsoft? I saw "Start Here" but did not see "Start." "Windows" isn't marked as a registered trademark in OSu's website. And "Spotlight," not "spotlight," is a registered trademark of Apple, so no registered symbol there.

I'm sorry, but I'm smelling trademark infringement in OSu's website, what with bugs in the menu with white text in white background when hovered over the text. Seems like someone does not know cascading stylesheet very well.

Comment

LOL... A OS for the masses based on Arch... I want some of what the people who dreamed up this are smoking. Maybe it could work if the world was full of Linux tech gurus, but we all know that's far from reality.

Comment

Canonical meanwhile has invested millions and employing hundreds of developers and still hasn't completely cracked the Linux desktop.
              As someone who tried to use Unity: They actually did completely crack the linux desktop. Unity is broken beyond repair.

scnr

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                Ubuntu was released in 2004. Do you remember what open source driver support for video drivers was like a decade ago?
                Yes. Do you remember what the proprietary video driver support was like?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Isn't "Start" a registered trademark of Microsoft?
                  An imaginary trademark. ie. a trademark that is "valid" only as long as it's challenged at court.

There was a time when someone was infringing on the "windows" trademark, and microsoft settled it out of court because they were afraid the court would not uphold the trademark on a word that is so generic. The same thing would almost definitely happen with "start" as well.

Comment

This is the response what I got when I emailed them:

I am aware, though the next Version of MATE will have Wayland support
                    as well as a GTK3 port. That shouldn't be to long coming and if it is
                    we'll help out a bit, we are bringing in Collabora to help us out and
                    advise us in aspects of wayland and Xwayland. I'm not to worried but
                    MATE is faster than Cinnamon by a bit and Gnome isn't very beginner
                    friendly at the moment. We where first going to use XFCE but they are
                    no where near being Compatible with Wayland. I hope I answered your
                    question and if you have any further ones I'll be glad to answer.

Kind Regards,
                    Andrew Bernstein

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 6:24 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
                    > You have a new message:
                    > Via: http://www.operatingsystemu.com/
                    > Message Details:
                    >
                    > Name :
                    > Email :
                    > Subject : Mate?
                    > Message : >mate Really? It doesn't even have Wayland support. Maybe it would
                    > be better if you would use Gnome or Cinnamon since they have some sort of
                    > Wayland support working.
                    >
                    > Sent on: 5 July, 2014
                    > Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
                      LOL... A OS for the masses based on Arch... I want some of what the people who dreamed up this are smoking. Maybe it could work if the world was full of Linux tech gurus, but we all know that's far from reality.
                      My tech illiterate Mom has been on Manjaro for over a year now. Yea, in practice it was not the best move, but Apper just auto updates her stuff and it has never broke. I also just keep her on her current working kernel, though I should probably up that to 3.14.

It is not like Arch does not have testing repositories to sort this stuff out.

My only issues with it are the lack of AUR updates through a GUI (ie, wrapper yaourt -Syua instead of pacman -Syu) and the lack of MAC options besides grsec, which is kind of overkill for a consumer machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X