Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Antergos Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu, Fedora?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vadix View Post
    Also, what caused it to not use deadline by default for the SSD?
    CFQ is already optimized for SSDs. Deadline does better only in synthetic benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Yes, but can the tweaks to Arch be applied to any other distro's, and will they perform similarly. Truly reproducible, or is Arch doing some 'magic faerie dust' things to their binaries before comilation that is opening up feature's for more tweaking?
      i just went through the archwiki page for tuning and i didn't find anything worthnoting, especially nothing that you didn't find on ANY OTHER common distro's info pages, even ubuntu.

excep a few things: there are some tweaks that are not really explained what they do but are EXTREMLY dangerous. in my opinion this is absolutely stupid to provide such tips without warnings and even any reference for more informations.

i got shocked when i saw they tell you to try different values for kernel.io_delay_type and nothing more. and there were other examples, not as bad as this one but overall their tuning wiki pages seemed more or less worthless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by justanarcher View Post
        CFQ is already optimized for SSDs. Deadline does better only in synthetic benchmarks.
        from my experience deadline still does better for ssds in practice than CFQ. but yes, cfq become very good at it too.

Comment

I've been using Arch for the past 8 years. The same installation for the past 5 (with changes to systemd, /lib and so on) and it's as good as it was at the beginning.
          As many said, this is yet another useless test. The beauty of Arch lies in the liberty it provides when it comes to setting up and configuring your systems. It was like that with init and it still is with systemd. You install what you want, you selects the services you want, you tweak the system the way you want it to be. The smoothness you get after that won't show up on a test like this. This has to do more with the package that is being used (cfq in case of the IO scheduler).

Can you do this in other distros? Sure. Though it's much more difficult when the whole package is given to you and you have to dig up into the core, and most of the time either you won't have the same results, or you'll break something.

ABS is another piece of gold. When I have to touch a Ubuntu distro now, and I have to look up for a software that's not in the official repositories, add it, the sign it, and you end up with 20 different repositories...that's a mess. You look up for the package in AUR and install it with yaourt. Done.

Pacman is another beast. apt-get is just a toy compared.

Is Arch for everyone? Maybe not and I don't recommend it to everybody, but reducing the comparison of the distros to this test...you can't expect much more from Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
            i just went through the archwiki page for tuning and i didn't find anything worthnoting, especially nothing that you didn't find on ANY OTHER common distro's info pages, even ubuntu.
            Ubuntu/debian's pages, AFAICT aren't consolidated at all. In most cases, it would be quicker to google and hit XYZ random blog, rather than using their distro resources. [and often when you google that kind of thing - Archwiki appears before XYZ distro's docs do].

excep a few things: there are some tweaks that are not really explained what they do but are EXTREMLY dangerous. in my opinion this is absolutely stupid to provide such tips without warnings and even any reference for more informations.

i got shocked when i saw they tell you to try different values for kernel.io_delay_type and nothing more. and there were other examples, not as bad as this one but overall their tuning wiki pages seemed more or less worthless to me.
            "not as bad as this one" pretty much says it all. sysctl isn't persistent across boots unless you specify that [in one of the links/man pages]. io_delay_type, depending on value, may be unstable on some systems, h/w [I've never experienced a problem. but i havent' touched that since fedora dayz/long time ago] - but again, NOT persistent settings. There is also a certain expectation within the Arch community; that users are competent and somewhat proactive [meaning your not afraid to look up/investigate something further, if needs be. ie: not a lot of hand-holding in Arch]. Regardless, you are 100% wrong, when you claim there are no warnings about this stuff;

Originally posted by Archwiki sysctl
            Note: If you have the kernel documentation installed (linux-docs), you can find detailed information about sysctl settings in /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Documentation/sysctl/. It is highly recommended reading these before changing sysctl settings.
            or did you just skip over that part...and what does every doc/txt/ file for sysctl say?
            Originally posted by sysctl documentation
            The files in this directory can be used to tune and monitor
            miscellaneous and general things in the operation of the Linux
            kernel. Since some of the files _can_ be used to screw up your
            system, it is advisable to read both documentation and source
            before actually making adjustments.
            hmmm.... So because you ignored what the wiki actually suggests and have never looked at the sysctl docs - it's now ArchWiki's fault? funny stuff.
            Last edited by ninez; 28 June 2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

so... arch is the new gentoo ?

Comment

Yeah, author got in the trap. Arch is faster because it is simple and easy, it lets solve your problems faster, and contains tons of working stuff in aur. Distros like Fedora and Ubuntu are too complicated and self-devoted: first they try to solve a problem by increasing utility complexity, then they add an utility to control utility, more and more. That 's a bullshit. Awesome is awesome because it lets you run programs, work with windows-and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by wstorm View Post
                  Yeah, author got in the trap. Arch is faster because it is simple and easy, it lets solve your problems faster, and contains tons of working stuff in aur. Distros like Fedora and Ubuntu are too complicated and self-devoted: first they try to solve a problem by increasing utility complexity, then they add an utility to control utility, more and more. That 's a bullshit. Awesome is awesome because it lets you run programs, work with windows-and nothing else.
                  Arch with Awesome launchs at less than 48MB of RAM.
                  And compare:
                  apt-get install
                  vs
                  pacman -S
                  it is just faster out of the box by 4 letters - about 1 sec of speed gain, at least for me. =)
                  Pacman always works right, apt-get may turn your system into a mess.
                  No graphical installation is nice bydef - no overhead, just couple of setup cmds, and when something go wrong, you can fix it. I don't only like everything about ****ing systemd, but that was necessary adoption.
                  In general, arch leave you control over system, while ubuntu can't offer that. It is proprietary after all.

I used Gentoo before, but it is not optimal because in Gentoo you need to compile every package, as i know.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    Ubuntu/debian's pages, AFAICT aren't consolidated at all. In most cases, it would be quicker to google and hit XYZ random blog, rather than using their distro resources. [and often when you google that kind of thing - Archwiki appears before XYZ distro's docs do].
                    and still the tweak stuff found in arch wiki is worse than 99% of random sites found on google.

"not as bad as this one" pretty much says it all. sysctl isn't persistent across boots unless you specify that [in one of the links/man pages]. io_delay_type, depending on value, may be unstable on some systems, h/w [I've never experienced a problem.
                    you don't get it. please do a search for this. it is not about unstable, or that's not the real main risk with that setting.
                    the problem is that it defines the io method/port for transfaring io data to subdevices, e.g. when flashing/updating firmwares.
                    changing this can corrupt any firmware transfer.

this setting is nothing that should ever be mentioned in a tweaking guide.

but i havent' touched that since fedora dayz/long time ago] - but again, NOT persistent settings.
                    in this case it doesn't matter if persistant or not. having this changed can corrupt or even brick your graphics card on an driver update, or your video grabber etc.
                    There is also a certain expectation within the Arch community; that users are competent and somewhat proactive [meaning
                    judging by the comments in this thread posted by arch linux users they are not competent but think so.
                    but anyway, the claim of good arch linux tweak guides on their wiki is simply bullshit. it is the worst of its kind i ever saw on the internet.

even ubuntu has some better site regarding this matter as they at least do post useless stuff that is even dangerous. many people not so competent may switch to arch linux, stumble on this wiki and do bad things.
                    your not afraid to look up/investigate something further, if needs be. ie: not a lot of hand-holding in Arch]. Regardless, you are 100% wrong, when you claim there are no warnings about this stuff;
                    reading comprehension? were did i said that?
                    i only said regarding some things there no warnings and i gave the special bad example of io_delay_type. for this setting, the by far most dangerous one on their site (as far as i saw) there is NO WARNING!

or did you just skip over that part...and what does every doc/txt/ file for sysctl say?

hmmm.... So because you ignored what the wiki actually suggests and have never looked at the sysctl docs - it's now ArchWiki's fault? funny stuff.
                    no, it's your fault of failing reading comprehension.

a lot of the sysctl settings found in the arch wiki are found all over the place with better explenations and hints, even on ubuntu sites (which either dislike though). i am not saying that ubuntu has good docs or tips and tricks pages.

i'm just saying that archwiki isn't really better at all, especial by far not like some people here claim. in fact most of their wanna be tricks are worthless. it's the same pseudomagic tweaks guides i see over and over from wannabe competent linux users.

seems to be the current fashion, jumping to arch linux, feeling like a linux-pro and telling others magically tweak their system.
                    i'm quite sick of this.
                    Last edited by a user; 29 June 2014, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Can you tell me what page have you came across?

there are some tweaks that are not really explained what they do but are EXTREMLY dangerous. in my opinion this is absolutely stupid to provide such tips without warnings and even any reference for more informations.
                      I've came across a lot of page in the wiki and most of them have warnings and info or told you to read some docs before trying

That wiki page have already told you to read more docs before trying

Note: If you have the kernel documentation installed (linux-docs), you can find detailed information about sysctl settings in /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Documentation/sysctl/. It is highly recommended reading these before changing sysctl settings.
                      The only wiki page I've found that have the most info and organized tweaks is this one

Of course you can find all of this by googling and go to some random sites but the community have gathered tweaks from those sites and put them all in the wiki so you will have an organized page with all the info you need. If you don't like something or wanted to add something, just create an account and change what you thought is not good. This will help not only Arch users but other linux users as well.

p/s: Sorry for bad english

Comment

Working...
                      X