Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manjaro 0.8.10 Adds Support For Plymouth, SDDM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manjaro 0.8.10 Adds Support For Plymouth, SDDM

    Phoronix: Manjaro 0.8.10 Adds Support For Plymouth, SDDM

    The Arch-based Manjaro Linux distribution is out with its 0.8.10 update for its flagship Xfce version plus their editions for KDE, Openbox, and minimal "net" environment...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxNjI

  • #2
    I want to like Manjaro, but I just can't due to the fact that they're not compatible with Arch repositories. They also hold-back updates for a while, even in their 'unstable' repository IIRC.
    I've yet to try it, but if I wanted a ready-to-use Arch distribution with a DE I'd probably use Antergos.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      I want to like Manjaro, but I just can't due to the fact that they're not compatible with Arch repositories. They also hold-back updates for a while, even in their 'unstable' repository IIRC.
      Unstable branch usually gets sync'd to an Arch mirror multiple times a day.

      If we directly used Arch repos, if we didn't have the repository system that we do, just recently our users would have experienced severe breakage (GTK 3.12 broke MDM, the login manager used in the last 2 install medias for our flagship edition = heaps of users would have been left unable to log in). Luckily due to our 3-branch repo system, all our stable users were completely spared from this, and many other issues (another that comes to mind is Arch fairly recently changing libGL library locations, that broke Manjaro systems due to how our hardware detection and driver installation tool works, but once again, our Stable users are spared from these issues).

      So if you really think it's so important to point directly at Arch repos, not getting the packages a little delayed because we test that core stuff works, then yes you should check out Antergos... but we'll certainly never be convinced that it is a bad thing we have our own repos. Since i joined the Manjaro team i've seen it proven time and time again to be very worthwhile.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by korrode View Post
        Unstable branch usually gets sync'd to an Arch mirror multiple times a day.

        If we directly used Arch repos, if we didn't have the repository system that we do, just recently our users would have experienced severe breakage (GTK 3.12 broke MDM, the login manager used in the last 2 install medias for our flagship edition = heaps of users would have been left unable to log in). Luckily due to our 3-branch repo system, all our stable users were completely spared from this, and many other issues (another that comes to mind is Arch fairly recently changing libGL library locations, that broke Manjaro systems due to how our hardware detection and driver installation tool works, but once again, our Stable users are spared from these issues).

        So if you really think it's so important to point directly at Arch repos, not getting the packages a little delayed because we test that core stuff works, then yes you should check out Antergos... but we'll certainly never be convinced that it is a bad thing we have our own repos. Since i joined the Manjaro team i've seen it proven time and time again to be very worthwhile.
        +10 Manjaro is awesome.
        Thank god we are removed from the madness of Arch instability.
        Waiting a couple weeks to make sure things are stable suits me just fine.
        And if I really need something from AUR installing it is is a piece of cake.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
          I want to like Manjaro, but I just can't due to the fact that they're not compatible with Arch repositories. They also hold-back updates for a while, even in their 'unstable' repository IIRC.
          I've yet to try it, but if I wanted a ready-to-use Arch distribution with a DE I'd probably use Antergos.
          I don't know what you mean by incompatible, but as was said earlier: the unstable repo gets synced usually at LEAST once a day. Sometimes more, and it's rare that a day is skipped. It is possible that in it's early early days it didn't have the resources to keep up, but it certainly does now. The AUR is also fully usable (in case you were wondering).

          I've _personally_ not heard very good things about Antergos (and I'm still mad that they gave up Cinnamon), but it's still a "use what's best for you" thing ^.^

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            +10 Manjaro is awesome.
            Thank god we are removed from the madness of Arch instability.
            Waiting a couple weeks to make sure things are stable suits me just fine.
            And if I really need something from AUR installing it is is a piece of cake.
            You dont get any stability -- unstable Arch is illusion, if you dont touch testing repositories
            On the other hand you expose your ass for a couple of weeks, as you dont get security updates right away but a weeks later.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by magika View Post
              You dont get any stability -- unstable Arch is illusion, if you dont touch testing repositories
              On the other hand you expose your ass for a couple of weeks, as you dont get security updates right away but a weeks later.
              Yeah like delaying something makes it stable.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by magika View Post
                You dont get any stability -- unstable Arch is illusion, if you dont touch testing repositories
                On the other hand you expose your ass for a couple of weeks, as you dont get security updates right away but a weeks later.
                Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Yeah like delaying something makes it stable.
                1. Important security updates flow straight to testing/stable, as far as I'm aware.
                2. It's not the "delay" that makes it stable. The software may very well be stable when it hits unstable, but we don't KNOW it's stable. And even if it's stable, we don't know if another software becomes unstable because of the upgrade. Arch Testing only does so much. Think of it as extra padding that may come in handy (think: Gnome 3.12/Cinnamon 2.x finagle that happened not that long ago)

                Many other rock-solid distros follow the same repo structure.

                I personally believe Arch Stable is the best distro repo (which is why I use Manjaro Unstable, which is synced daily, or more, to it), I use Manjaro because (1) I fucking hate Arch's install process and (2) mhwd scripts. There are other reasons, but those are the top two.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like Manjaro, one of the best things that I started to use thanks do Phoronix.

                  Manjaro fits my needs of a easy to use, like Ubuntu, but with more up-to-date by being a rolling release distro

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've been a Manjaro user for almost a full year, and nothing else comes close to it in my opinion, it is rock solid, reliable, and easy to use. Manjaro beats the pants off Linux Mint, and Ubuntu.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X