Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Fedora 20 KDE Stack: Something's Funky

Phoronix: Updated Fedora 20 KDE Stack: Something's Funky

One month ago we looked at the latest performance of Fedora 20, but with its more liberal update strategy -- especially with the long release time until Fedora 21 -- we're back with some more tests today as since last month the Linux 3.14 kernel has been added and other changes. This article has benchmarks of the Fedora 20 KDE spin out-of-the-box and then with all available updates as of this week to see how the performance has evolved in the half-year since the F20 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm just getting frustrated beyond belief with this Intel power governor issue crap.

Here's a tip for their engineers: pick up the phone, call the Windows division, and ask how they do it.

Intel definitely comes across as one of those companies where the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing.

Comment

Am I going to buy an Android phone or tablet with an Intel processor if they can't demonstrate competence in handling frequency stepping?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Am I going to buy an Android phone or tablet with an Intel processor if they can't demonstrate competence in handling frequency stepping?
        To be fair to Intel... Michael's comments AFAIK there's no grounded evidence that it IS the P-State driver having problems. When I read the article anytime i saw a mention of "Well it could be P-State" I took it with a grain of salt and assumed the comment was being made because the last time there were strange performance decreases (and increases) it did infact come down to CPU Frequency stuff.

note: I'm referring to the Radeon benchmarks on Ubuntu from a few months ago where a change to the ondemand (old style driver) governor was upping performance by like 10%. If there's been new changes / articles since then that showcase a P-State driver problem then I've apparently missed those articles.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          To be fair to Intel... Michael's comments AFAIK there's no grounded evidence that it IS the P-State driver having problems. When I read the article anytime i saw a mention of "Well it could be P-State" I took it with a grain of salt and assumed the comment was being made because the last time there were strange performance decreases (and increases) it did infact come down to CPU Frequency stuff.

note: I'm referring to the Radeon benchmarks on Ubuntu from a few months ago where a change to the ondemand (old style driver) governor was upping performance by like 10%. If there's been new changes / articles since then that showcase a P-State driver problem then I've apparently missed those articles.
          It seems to be a well-known, established and ongoing problem. Not just with pstate but even the older cpufreq governor as you mentioned.

Comment

Could the (somewhat) poor performance we are seeing in the OpenGL benchmarks be explained by (the lack of) async DMA? It was disabled in mesa 10.1.2 for R700 cards [1].

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ba2f0f90ea5aba

Comment

hyperz?

Are those games CPU limited? Couldn't it be a combination of pstate and hyperz? Afaik it was turned off by default with mesa 10.1.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                Are those games CPU limited? Couldn't it be a combination of pstate and hyperz? Afaik it was turned off by default with mesa 10.1.
                Could be hyperz, could also be MSAA
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  openarena probably is
                  xonotic is, but less so on high

gputest triangle is pure buffer flipping while fur shader is (probably) pure gpu molesting
                  x264 is pure cpu thing, so..

Comment

On Arch with kernel 3.14,

Using 'performance' over the default 'powersave' (intel P-state) gives a 25/40 % perf boost to Openarena/Xonotic(low) on my radeon card.

So I wouldn't be suprised intel P-state is to blame on Michael's benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X