Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jono Bacon Stepping Down From Canonical

Phoronix: Jono Bacon Stepping Down From Canonical

After eight years of working at Canonical, Jono Bacon is stepping down as the Ubuntu Community Manager at the end of May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re

He's a great guy that stayed in a horrible company...
    How many times he had to defend the company because of some public persons in the company that love to flame in public...
    And he could not do much with the behavior of his employer... Developers begging him to stop the employer from throwing others into the mud...

Comment

horrible?

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
      He's a great guy that stayed in a horrible company...
      How many times he had to defend the company because of some public persons in the company that love to flame in public...
      And he could not do much with the behavior of his employer... Developers begging him to stop the employer from throwing others into the mud...
      is your opinion

Comment

Unsurprised

I kinda saw it coming when he did his "I'm done with open source" April's Fool on Google Hangout. It was clear it was an April's Fool joke, but it had a ring of truth to it.

Canonical is moving away from the desktop, and aren't really interested in having a "community" anymore.

Comment

Hopefully Shuttlework do the same

Comment

Originally posted by philipmorris View Post
            Hopefully Shuttlework do the same
            Truth. Ubuntu has gone downhill ever since they started that Unity crap. Whoever's idea it was to make Mir instead of support Wayland should be shot. Imagine if all the work Ubuntu has done on Unity/Mir was instead devoted to Unity/Wayland. They really F***ed over the entire community.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Truth. Ubuntu has gone downhill ever since they started that Unity crap. Whoever's idea it was to make Mir instead of support Wayland should be shot. Imagine if all the work Ubuntu has done on Unity/Mir was instead devoted to Unity/Wayland. They really F***ed over the entire community.
              Even better, Gnome3/wayland. Although I admit I've never actually used gnome shell, I imagine it could not have been much worse than Unity with the help from Canonical and everyone else.

Comment

If some of you people knew how to read and had some friggin' patience- Oh wait, this is FOSS, everything involving technology is going out at lightning speed, right?

Give me a break, people and have some decency towards Ubuntu and the fact that their convergence strategy is gonna take a while. Also if people actually READ Jono's blog post, he said he's got a good relationship with Mark Shuttleworth and is still gonna keep using Ubuntu, loves open source, etc. God you people are so daft.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
                  If some of you people knew how to read and had some friggin' patience- Oh wait, this is FOSS, everything involving technology is going out at lightning speed, right?

Give me a break, people and have some decency towards Ubuntu and the fact that their convergence strategy is gonna take a while. Also if people actually READ Jono's blog post, he said he's got a good relationship with Mark Shuttleworth and is still gonna keep using Ubuntu, loves open source, etc. God you people are so daft.
                  Decency? Cannonical showed it dosen't want to work with the rest of the community by not working with Wayland. Let em sink. Or do you actually think having another next gen compositor is a good idea from a development perspective?

Ubuntu has lost it's direction IMO. And the rise of Mint at the same point as Unity shows people generally do not like the direction Ubuntu has taken.

Sure Ubuntu did a lot of good. But just like the great beginnings of Google Ubuntu has turned sour.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                    Decency? Cannonical showed it dosen't want to work with the rest of the community by not working with Wayland. Let em sink. Or do you actually think having another next gen compositor is a good idea from a development perspective?

Ubuntu has lost it's direction IMO. And the rise of Mint at the same point as Unity shows people generally do not like the direction Ubuntu has taken.

Sure Ubuntu did a lot of good. But just like the great beginnings of Google Ubuntu has turned sour.

People will criticise Mark Shuttleworth and Ubuntu no matter what they do. Remember when Shuttleworth announced Ubuntu was backing Wayland? Remember all the negative comments? People hated Wayland.
                    • "WTF what about network transparency?"
                    • "Oh God. Tell me that Ubuntu?s roadmap is not made by people who think they know the graphics stack because they read Phoronix"
                    • "One of the insanest move I?ve ever seen from Ubuntu? I am worrying about the compatibility and reliability of Wayland"
                    • Wayland.. will probably leave owners of El-Cheapo laptops (read: everything besides ?Dell Mini 9″) out in the rain",
                    • "how have all of you failed to notice that wayland is a dead project?"
                    • "I?m a bit baffled by this decision to move to Wayland."
                    • "if Wayland ever works (I doubt that for many reasons)..."
                    • "Do you want to stop Ubuntu being Linux?"
                    • "Losing the network transparency is likely going to loose you a lot of advanced users"
                    • "The move away from X concerns me greatly."
                    • "what are the actual advantages of going Wayland? It seems you?re going to throw out a lot of cool features in xorg.. and gaining? what exactly?"
                    • "Afraid this is the start of the end for *bunutu land? Your downstream distros are already looking for new bases? cough Mint cough? this will just push them over the edge."
                    • "X and XDMCP via SSH is critical as is support for real graphics systems"
                    • "let me say that this idea is yet another major bad one for Ubuntu"
                    • "I don?t understand the move away from the x-server...Fragmentation of the linux desktop. Need for new drivers, applications, compatibility modus for the x-server,?..Jesus"
                    • "what is the reason to stick with Linux?"
                    • "I?m really sad. Why are you doing this? Why don?t you just contribute to X and make it better?"
                    • "Wayland will mean that if anyone wants to play 3D-accelerated games with their computer, they?ll need an MS OS"

And that was just the immediate responses to a single blog post. And it went on and on. Blogs, forums, Slashdot, months and months of constant flaming of Shuttleworth and Ubuntu for backing Wayland. People were complaining that by backing Wayland, Ubuntu was trying to force Gnome and KDE to use Wayland... "Just because they're the most popular distribution doesn't mean that they can start changing everything around and have everyone else follow their lead."

I love this one: "Your downstream distros are already looking for new bases? cough Mint cough? this will just push them over the edge.". All of the downstream distros will leave because you chose Wayland. (Or Pulse Audio. Or systemd. Or upstart. There's always a reason the downstream distros are going to leave.)

And that other comment "Do you want to stop Ubuntu being Linux?" - that's right - Shuttleworth was flamed for "stopping Ubuntu being Linux" because he backed Wayland. Oh dear.

The Phoronix discussion, very first page, "What about the MASSIVE performance problems this will cause".

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X