6-Way Desktop Comparison On Linux Mint 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Then you are using pre-Sandy Bridge graphics, or manually enabled tearfree in Xorg, which has a performance hit. XFCE does not have an OpenGL page flipping compositor, so it can not do tear free on recent Intel GPUs. The situation could get worse: there was a warning from an Intel developer that non-pageflip compositors might not work at all on the next generation of GPUs, due to enhanced power saving.
    You can use a different compositor with OpenGL support. I have used compton, gala and compiz with Xfce and they truly get rid of tearing. But of course they should implement an OpenGL compositor, or at least adapt one of these officially.

Comment

kde?

Originally posted by terrywang View Post
      KDE is the best and most complete desktop environment for now, no wonder.

GNOME 3 (gnome-shell) is broken, as a long time GNOME user (since 2001) I was totally pissed off when they decided to remove gnome fallback mode (which works with Compiz). GNOME 3 challenges the habit of a 10+ years user, just like Windows 8.

I am now more than happy to use KDE 4.13 on Arch, keep rolling into future Plasma Next :_D BTW: I was once pissed off by KDE when it was around 3.5, so unstable.

KDE Plasma Next has full hardware acceleration and should be faster. When running games full screen, better to start it from a light weight WM.
      kde is ugly and have to many bugs

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        kde is ugly
        KDE is as ugly as you configure it, nothing more, nothing less.
        and have to many bugs
        Works fine on Slackware. Maybe it is your distro that is buggy, not KDE?

Comment

These results track with my own

Cinnamon here gace good results in almost all tests except rendering GTK widgets. I cannot even measure a framerate difference in a light or a heavy game between Cinnamon and IceWM. On the other hand, the GTK widget test shows the responsiveness problem Cinnamon and the older gnome-shell on which it is based are known for. Not a problem on my big machines, they respond just fine with Cinnamon and in fact it's my favorite DE. The netbook, however, shows faster battery consumption using it and responsiveness definately takes a hit. MATE over compiz ran better but still used more battery, so that machine stays on IceWM for maximum battery life and the ability to play 720P video on an Intel Atom Pine Trail single-core.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Micheal could you make the average of all results?
            First, one would have to transform the results properly, such as e.g. "more" is better for every plot and then scale the results so that the winner has a value of one (and thus all others are lower than 1).

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              First, one would have to transform the results properly, such as e.g. "more" is better for every plot and then scale the results so that the winner has a value of one (and thus all others are lower than 1).
              Yes, ponderating the average. So users can see what is the result which offers the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                Then you are using pre-Sandy Bridge graphics, or manually enabled tearfree in Xorg, which has a performance hit. XFCE does not have an OpenGL page flipping compositor, so it can not do tear free on recent Intel GPUs. The situation could get worse: there was a warning from an Intel developer that non-pageflip compositors might not work at all on the next generation of GPUs, due to enhanced power saving.
                your right, xorg was customized... interesting though, I never new about this problem changed it because of an unrelated problem with my plasma screen.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  kde is ugly and have to many bugs
                  Used to be ugly back in Fedora Core 1 and very unstable, crashes a couple of times everyday back then.

Since 4.10 I am more than happy to use it as my main desktop. It is very stable on Arch Linux and even Kubuntu (not sure why they call it Kubuntu, I would still say it is Ubuntu + KDE).

Comment

gnome's performance is pretty impressive for what it is...

I am surprised by LXDE being slower than XFCE in a lot of tests.

Unity should have been there.

[email protected]

Comment

If you plan another comparison in future could you benchmark also LXQT? I also heard that will be in Debian repostiory before freeze of Jessie.

Comment

Working...
                      X