X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    Gnome-shell frippery is far more competitive, but they get hammered by the constant breakage of gnome-shell extensions.
    The extension API is stable these days.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    As long as games, video players, and other graphically demanding applications are on X, however, it will be an actual disadvantage to run Wayland unless you mostly use a wayland compatable browser and little else.
    Actually, not necessarily. XWayland, once it gets fully optimized and gets composite bypass and all that stuff put in, can potentially be faster than plain X for X apps, and at the very least can have the same performance as X - yes, even for graphically intensive applications such as games or video players - maybe especially for them. The reason being that since XWayland allows each X app to run its own rootless X server, there's no composition done on the X side, and instead it can be done by the Wayland compositor which can do it much more efficiently, utilizing EGL and all that stuff.

The problems I foresee are more with compatibility on some things that rely heavily on the X infrastructure for some of their functionality... for example, audio plugins: VST plugins on Linux are currently hardcoded to use plain X for GUI display, and that's not likely to change very soon... also, IIRC, Xembed is used to display plugin GUIs for LV2 plugins... and it's not just a problem for audio plugins, it applies to other software with plugin architectures - what happens when the host software uses Wayland, but the plugin uses X...?

But I'm confident these issues will be solved eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    GNOME 3 classic is nowhere close to Cinnamon for features

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    I would be very surprised. The Cinnamon team has put so much effort into diverging from Gnome by now that they're not likely to just scrap all that and go back to Gnome...
    GNOME 3 classic is nowhere near as configurable as Cinnamon, even theming it would require writing custom elements into the GTK3 theme as far as I can tell. I didn't even see options to move the panels around, I rather prefer to use a single panel on the bottom on widescreen displays.

Gnome-shell frippery is far more competitive, but they get hammered by the constant breakage of gnome-shell extensions. I basically see a need to redo the Cinnamon work for Wayland when apps get ported to wayland, meaning to re-fork from a single newer version or else backport the Wayland changes. As long as games, video players, and other graphically demanding applications are on X, however, it will be an actual disadvantage to run Wayland unless you mostly use a wayland compatable browser and little else.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cinnamon just quits and leaves the job to Gnome 3 Classic + maybe a custom extension here and there.
    I would be very surprised. The Cinnamon team has put so much effort into diverging from Gnome by now that they're not likely to just scrap all that and go back to Gnome...

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    So the only real question is, when are they going to move over from Xorg to Wayland and how will they handle the transition... Probably they will only consider the transition when Wayland is at 100% function parity with Xorg.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cinnamon just quits and leaves the job to Gnome 3 Classic + maybe a custom extension here and there.

Leave a comment:

• chrisb
    replied

The questions will be how long does X stay in repo or in the xorg-edgers PPA
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Xorg still in the Ubuntu 24.04 repositories. I haven't seen any proposals for removal, and I doubt there will be until all the major desktops have shifted away. 14.04LTS alone will be using and supporting Xorg till 2019. I suspect *buntus will be in a similar situation for 16.04.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    I'm happy with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I only miss session management in Unity. Does Cinamon have session management working? Gnome had it but seems broken in 3 and I don't feel like KDE.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    As for me, I'll be happy to move over to Mint 17 and use that for the next 2 years. I don't even have any bleeding-edge hardware so why would I need bleeding-edge kernels or other software... probably in 2 years time, Wayland will be ready and maybe we'll also get Cinnamon on Wayland by that time, which would be great.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Mint is in an ugly position due to the rapid changes coming in the underlying stack. I had been wondering what they were going to do about the Mir/Wayland situation, and now there is the systemd transition as well.

OK, I have just established in my own machines that Cinnamon and Nemo work just fine over Systemd, which is no surprise because they don't use the init system. Wayland/Mir is entirely another story, and neither MATE nor Cinnamon has been ported to either one. Cinnamon's team should be able to look at the patches used by GNOME to use Wayland, but will have to either backport them to a very old verson of gnome-shell or else port the patches that turn gnome-shell into Cinnamon to a far newer version of gnome-shell. Mate might be easier: port it to GTK 3 and a lot of the job is done, as the window manager is not integrated into the taskbar or the menus. Port it to GTK3 and run it over Weston or another Wayland window manager.
    IIRC, the MATE developers are already planning a transition to Wayland.

As for Cinnamon, there hasn't really been any kind of definite answer on what the Cinnamon devs plan to do about the Wayland/Mir situation (and believe me, many have asked). Clem's stance is that Mint (at least the Cinnamon version) will use whatever works the best for the users, and at the moment that is Xorg. The question is what will they do in the future...

I think it's pretty obvious that Mint is not going to use Mir - that'd make no sense at all, as then there'd be two codebases to maintain instead of one: one with Cinnamon/Mir and one with Wayland/anything else - Wayland/KDE, Wayland/Xfce, Wayland/MATE... much easier to just use one codebase with Wayland for everything, just like they now can use Xorg with everything. So the only real question is, when are they going to move over from Xorg to Wayland and how will they handle the transition... Probably they will only consider the transition when Wayland is at 100% function parity with Xorg.

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    normal

linux mint is only ubuntu with cinnamon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X