X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1kkko
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Nothing against Elementary OS, but why would an upcoming release be a reason to switch? I mean, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is running great and if they fuck up 14.10, because Unity8/Mir is still too unstable or whatever, then who cares? Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will still run great in years to come.
    You're right. Ubuntu is pretty much the only linux operating system I've used on a desktop so far, and I'll most likely stick with 14.04 for quite some time.

But seeing that Ubuntu has now really started going to a direction of their own (that not many are pleased with), focusing on mobile, introducing mir and their own package manager, core apps for pretty much everything etc, I'm not sure if I want to "upgrade" to future versions of it anymore. And so Elementary OS Isis is becoming a more compelling alternative day by day.

That said, I've yet to try it out. If someone knows a "better" linux desktop/distribution alternative to Ubuntu(Unity), please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Not a real animal this time? Utopic? That doesn't sound like they're confident in it at all.

Hmm, so 16.04 that they are aiming all their new things for is going to be what, the Xylophonic Xiphophorus?

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    yes

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Nothing against Elementary OS, but why would an upcoming release be a reason to switch? I mean, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is running great and if they fuck up 14.10, because Unity8/Mir is still too unstable or whatever, then who cares? Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will still run great in years to come.
    is the point of lts over normal. the .10 are always a pain in ass like 10.10 and 12.10, a lot of new features without stability

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Elementary OS, here I come... at least I'll give it a spin when the Isis version is closer to being ready.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    And here I was hoping for Underhanded Undead.

Leave a comment:

• dh04000
    replied
    grumble grumble shit post that is off topic

Leave a comment:

• amehaye
    replied
    Funny to hear him talk about unification when Ubuntu is all about fragmentation nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    Elementary OS, here I come... at least I'll give it a spin when the Isis version is closer to being ready.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu 14.10 Is Codenamed The Utopic Unicorn

Ubuntu 14.10 Is Codenamed The Utopic Unicorn

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10 Is Codenamed The Utopic Unicorn

Mark Shuttleworth has finally revealed the Ubuntu 14.10 codename and other details about this next Ubuntu Linux release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X