Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 21 Gets GNOME 3.12, PHP 5.6, Mono 3.4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 21 Gets GNOME 3.12, PHP 5.6, Mono 3.4

    Phoronix: Fedora 21 Gets GNOME 3.12, PHP 5.6, Mono 3.4

    Following today's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) meeting is another round of fresh features for Fedora 21 that will premiere late into the year...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2NjE

  • #2
    when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?
      mono is free and opensource, mp3 not.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?
        How about pointing to the patents on Mono for the unwashed masses?

        Comment


        • #5
          Gnome 3.12

          Is this GNOME 3.12 Fedora's release ready to use Wayland?

          Or must wait until 3.14?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
            Is this GNOME 3.12 Fedora's release ready to use Wayland?

            Or must wait until 3.14?
            http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-on-way...tus-on-fedora/

            It is experimental for 3.12

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              How about pointing to the patents on Mono for the unwashed masses?
              didnt you know the company that Made Mono did a Deal with the Devil ? that being Novel so im pretty sure the License of Monoo is not Opensource . Rahul would know more about that than i would, or you could google it yaself

              going back years ago Fedora use to install Mono by Default. . go to Fedora's Wiki an look for " Mono " you should find answer's there
              Last edited by Anvil; 17 April 2014, 06:41 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?
                You know ... whenever I hear the word "mono" and "patents" I think of Sun Microsystems fanboys who can't get over the fact that Sun's software competitors were better across the board and so they need to FUD in order to make themselves feel better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  didnt you know the company that Made Mono did a Deal with the Devil ? that being Novel so im pretty sure the License of Monoo is not Opensource . Rahul would know more about that than i would, or you could google it yaself

                  going back years ago Fedora use to install Mono by Default. . go to Fedora's Wiki an look for " Mono " you should find answer's there
                  Mono is under a free and open source license. I am not sure what give you the impression otherwise. Mono was installed by default in the Fedora live image when Tomboy used to be the default note taking application. Fedora switched over to Gnote later (and now uses the GNOME 3 notes application) and there was no need to install Mono by default any longer. That has nothing to do with any patent issues. If you can point to any specific ones of concern, feel free to contact Fedora Legal

                  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Main#Contact

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Mono is under a free and open source license. I am not sure what give you the impression otherwise. Mono was installed by default in the Fedora live image when Tomboy used to be the default note taking application. Fedora switched over to Gnote later (and now uses the GNOME 3 notes application) and there was no need to install Mono by default any longer. That has nothing to do with any patent issues. If you can point to any specific ones of concern, feel free to contact Fedora Legal

                    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Main#Contact
                    as you said, mono was MIT. but, he probably refers to patents post ECMA (C# v.2). those really were fishy at best same as patents needed to implement .Net past those versions. now with open sourcing roslyn under apache license MS finally made it clear since roslyn covers all patents up to next gen c# and apache license is clear about that fact. all patents are granted

                    the only thing that i see MS somehow forgotten would be unclear situation with ADODB (unclear to me). it was never covered with ECMA and now they released Entity Framework under apache but not ADODB (or i missed that). still, as i see it, there should not be any problem. apache covers all patents covered by EF and EF relies on ADODB to work, meaning ADODB should be covered as well. but, do correct me if i'm wrong

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X