Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Will Likely Make Java 8 The Default Runtime

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Likely Make Java 8 The Default Runtime

The latest Fedora 21 feature being talked about that will likely happen for this next Linux distribution release is shipping Java 8 as the default Java run-time environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Having a stick-in-the-mud is not a valid reason to keep maintaining old software. If somebody needs/dependson an older version, they really should pick a different distro, not the one that really pushes the limits. Enterprise Linux, for example, has BOTH OpenJDK 1.6 **AND** 1.7 in default repos. Seems to me like a better option for anyone who "depends" on it.

Comment

Having software depend on older versions of software is jut asking for trouble when it comes to taking advantage of vulnerabilities in software being so popular.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Having software depend on older versions of software is jut asking for trouble when it comes to taking advantage of vulnerabilities in software being so popular.
        While true, that doesn't mean that upgrading is free or painless. Since it was released last week, I've tried upgrading our application to Java 8, but had to revert due to issues - a mix of techstack components (IDE, app server) not yet supporting Java 8, and some third-party library that was doing some kind of version check to enable or disable features (and which treated 8 as unrecognised and old).

All of those issues can be fixed with time and effort, but until they're fixed, Java 8 just isn't an option yet.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Enterprise Linux, for example, has BOTH OpenJDK 1.6 **AND** 1.7 in default repos. Seems to me like a better option for anyone who "depends" on it.
          It's not a question of what's in the repos - it's a matter of what the default is, what you get when you run "java" from a command line, or when you run Java-based applications from the desktop.

And for "enterprise" development (i.e at work), I don't use distro packages for Java anyway... I use specific versions downloaded off Oracle's site, and installed under /opt...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            It's not a question of what's in the repos - it's a matter of what the default is, what you get when you run "java" from a command line, or when you run Java-based applications from the desktop.

And for "enterprise" development (i.e at work), I don't use distro packages for Java anyway... I use specific versions downloaded off Oracle's site, and installed under /opt...
            For what it's worth, the whole Java is obsolete on desktop. Legacy apps only use it. Mono starts up much faster and LLVM provides faster code gen. Also for browser JS is really good. So, Java is not really needed anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Actually, it is just a matter of having both installed. Then you select which to use at runtime.

Hurrah for the NSA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                For what it's worth, the whole Java is obsolete on desktop. Legacy apps only use it. Mono starts up much faster and LLVM provides faster code gen. Also for browser JS is really good. So, Java is not really needed anymore.
                mono is definitely not an option for ANY SANE person AT ALL.
                java is somewhat related, but there are some major important packages that depend on it, like eclipse.

Comment

A disappointment that Java 8 is still lacking

Still no collection initializers, still getter/setters.

Comment

Working...
                  X