Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Live CD Updated -- Pulls In New Code, Features

Phoronix: Wayland Live CD Updated -- Pulls In New Code, Features

The developer behind the Rebecca Black OS that is a Wayland Live DVD shipping with all of the experimental Wayland and Weston code along with other Wayland-ported apps, has seen a major update in time for weekend testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like how it was released on friday, friday, ...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I like how it was released on friday, friday, ...
      It would be inappropriate if it were released any other day.

I think I'm going to try out this release. Last time I tried it, only intel graphics worked. Wayland and weston came a very long way since then, so I'm sure it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I think I'm going to try out this release. Last time I tried it, only intel graphics worked. Wayland and weston came a very long way since then, so I'm sure it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
        TBH i was expecting it to be everyday usable much earlier. We still have a long way to go regarding major apps and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          It would be inappropriate if it were released any other day.

well, whole lotta desktop freezing for me, which is normal since it is all bleeding edge. enlightenment session is probably only session that survives more than few actions. wayland it self AND things running on it are bleeding edge after all. but, the little that i saw in the time it worked blew my mind and made me start crying when i returned to this machine. wayland is simply best tech coming out beside systemd on linux.

also, enlightenment downright blew me off how slick it got since i last tried it. does anyone know which distro would have best coverage and support for 0.18 out of the box? e18 is definitely my next desktop (or 19 on wayland, depends on timing), not to mention i was downright sad when i remembered good old times before 0.16 was kinda left to rot and i switched to gnome. there's simply nothing like real geek desktop

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            well, whole lotta desktop freezing for me, which is normal since it is all bleeding edge. enlightenment session is probably only session that survives more than few actions. wayland it self AND things running on it are bleeding edge after all. but, the little that i saw in the time it worked blew my mind and made me start crying when i returned to this machine. wayland is simply best tech coming out beside systemd on linux.

also, enlightenment downright blew me off how slick it got since i last tried it. does anyone know which distro would have best coverage and support for 0.18 out of the box? e18 is definitely my next desktop (or 19 on wayland, depends on timing), not to mention i was downright sad when i remembered good old times before 0.16 was kinda left to rot and i switched to gnome. there's simply nothing like real geek desktop
            I used enlightenment under Gentoo and Arch. Both are in very good shape. Gentoo even had ebuild's before the final release so their current ebuilds are of top quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
              I used enlightenment under Gentoo and Arch. Both are in very good shape. Gentoo even had ebuild's before the final release so their current ebuilds are of top quality.
              I second this.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
                I second this.
                thanks, gentoo or arch is a bit too much hustle for me, i prefer putting installation in and be over in 10min. not to mention that i need to be at some solid base since i develop apps.

after more searching i finally found bodhi linux. with 3.0 (now in alpha) it will feature e19 as default environment, but i couldn't find anything on wayland plans for it.

after toying with it for hour or 2, i have to admit... it looks slick as hell, works just as fast as linux used to until slugish desktops completely taken over linux. next good thing is that it is based on ubuntu which is changing to systemd, so all my 4 requirements are covered (systemd, good app storage, LT server solution and desktop which actually wants you to be productive). goodbye fedora&RHEL+CentOS, hello bodhi&debian stable. main plus being that since it is ubuntu based it is also developers choice of support, so you don't need any extra hurdles.

Comment

Working...
                X