Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 13.2 To Use Btrfs By Default, Major Changes

Phoronix: openSUSE 13.2 To Use Btrfs By Default, Major Changes

While openSUSE 13.2 will not be released until November, we now have an idea for some of the changes and new features being planned by the openSUSE developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't they just spend ages porting YasT to Ruby!?

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
      Didn't they just spend ages porting YasT to Ruby!?
      They did. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

EDIT: I believe YaST uses Qt4 already.

Comment

Seems that it will be a good release.

I'm very happy to see BTRFS as the default, I'm using it with openSUSE 13.1 and it's been a smooth sailing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
          EDIT: I believe YaST uses Qt4 already.
          "Already"? It's been using it ever since I started using openSUSE. And now it will be using Qt5. Themes are also being changed in some fashion (I hope it's towards better desktop integration).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            "Already"? It's been using it ever since I started using openSUSE. And now it will be using Qt5. Themes are also being changed in some fashion (I hope it's towards better desktop integration).
            13.2 may yet land Plasma-next, which would have much more significant changes to desktop integration.

Though Suse is usually pretty conservative, I'd be really surprised if they didn't ship 4.13.

I'm still wondering where my fsck.btrfs is. I use it on all my machines, but whenever something *does* go wrong, like corrupted extents, I have to boot to a usb drive to run btrfsck on my root partition. And even then, btrfsck is like a meat cleaver to fix problems (especially in repair mode) when you really just want a steak knife to prune the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              13.2 may yet land Plasma-next, which would have much more significant changes to desktop integration.

Though Suse is usually pretty conservative, I'd be really surprised if they didn't ship 4.13.

I'm still wondering where my fsck.btrfs is. I use it on all my machines, but whenever something *does* go wrong, like corrupted extents, I have to boot to a usb drive to run btrfsck on my root partition. And even then, btrfsck is like a meat cleaver to fix problems (especially in repair mode) when you really just want a steak knife to prune the damage.
              why not scrub?

Comment

The plan is to ship SC 4.13 by default, KF5 as an option. 13.3 will probably have KF5 as default.

Comment

Let's not pull another KDE4, there's no need to rush to ship KDE5. Sure, the devs said that they want the first release to be a stable one, but we'll see.

Yes, I know there's no KDE5, but I'm not going to write KDE Framework 5/Plasma-Next all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    Let's not pull another KDE4, there's no need to rush to ship KDE5. Sure, the devs said that they want the first release to be a stable one, but we'll see.

Yes, I know there's no KDE5, but I'm not going to write KDE Framework 5/Plasma-Next all the time.
                    I thought Plasma Next was just the codename for all the qtquick2 based stuff they are changing for kde5. Everyones going to call it kde5 anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X