Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 7 Still Being Tuned Ahead Of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Unity 7 Still Being Tuned Ahead Of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

New features like HiDPI and local menus are still being tuned within the Unity 7 desktop environment ahead of next month's debut of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

File a bug

@Michael: I think your inputs certainly would be very welcome. A list of your experiences could be filed into a bug report.

Comment

The small improvements found in this release are really quite wonderful. The fact I've been running the development install since early alpha, and haven't hit any major issues is also amazing.

Comment

When is Unity 8 arriving? 14.10? Because it should. It needs quite a bit of time to be baked before being used as default for 16.04.

I'm hoping they change from the left sided taskbar, which I don't think any non-Linux user wanting to use Ubuntu likes. I know they won't do it, but one can hope.

Comment

Are you going to write an article about every single thing Ubuntu does?
          Being paid much?

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
            Are you going to write an article about every single thing Ubuntu does?
            Being paid much?
            Hey, I like to hear what the latest developments are. Feel free to skip the articles with Ubuntu related content in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              Hey, I like to hear what the latest developments are. Feel free to skip the articles with Ubuntu related content in it.
              So I guess you wouldn't mind 200 articles a day commenting on every new decision of every distro, every DE, etc, etc... right?

You use Ubuntu? It's totally fine, but that doesn't mean you have to be Ok with him writing about what MS had for breakfast this morning. Linux world doesn't end with Ubuntu.... or maybe it does looking at how they drive apart from all the community directions.

I won't go offtopic anymore cause my mate Barry doesn't seem to like it very much.

Comment

I use Ubuntu and only Ubuntu. And I'm one of these users that do want a distro simply to work with the best defaults available. I've tried the most popular 20 distributions on DistroWatch and I can state that for general use Ubuntu is by far the best distribution.
                And as far as I know this is the distribution with the biggest market share so it's normal to see much more articles about it. Stop murmuring and accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
                  So I guess you wouldn't mind 200 articles a day commenting on every new decision of every distro, every DE, etc, etc... right?

You use Ubuntu? It's totally fine, but that doesn't mean you have to be Ok with him writing about what MS had for breakfast this morning. Linux world doesn't end with Ubuntu.... or maybe it does looking at how they drive apart from all the community directions.

I won't go offtopic anymore cause my mate Barry doesn't seem to like it very much.
                  It's the vUDS during 3 days. So during 3 Days we have news about the developement of Ubuntu. Nothing more.

Comment

Ubuntu is a terrible distribution in my books. Dumbed down yet crippled up with arbitrary difficulty and complexity. They use a hybrid init system with upstart and sysvinit functionality, but don't even give you tools to manage it. You have to hand edit (or override) upstart files and/or many things still seem to start with sysvinit scripts and I have to manipulate the symlinks by hand to get the desired behaviour.

I broke a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install the other day, simply by installing the xorg-dev metapackage while setting up a build environment for a project I needed to compile on that distro. It showed me it was going to remove some custom Ubuntu xorg packages, and install the corresponding dependencies for the X11 devel packages so I said Y. After that, the system would not initialize, it just hung on a stupid purplish Ubuntu splash screen with no info, accepting no input of any kind, because the X server was actually missing. No grub menu to start in a different runlevel, and no key presses accepted because those assholes set the hidden timeout to 0 in the grub configuration. No ssh server installed... dead in the water.

I had to boot with a rescue disk and edit grub just so I could find out what was wrong, and then install some missing packages. You can bet that I uncrippled the system so that can't happen to me again when I realized the things they had done. I put the grub menu back, set it to boot in "text" mode instead of splashes in my kernel stanza, set the tty's so login would use --noclear and also set the variable that grub passes to the init system so the system would start without X11 (and set it up so startx would start fluxbox... a plain jane window manager that won't piss me off when I'm trying to get work done. The Ubuntu package for fluxbox even made the damned menu more difficult to edit. I had a file that just included a dynamically generated menu file from /etc/default. Of course I fixed that, but how stupid is that. Anyone that asks for fluxbox probably already knows how to work it and doesn't need that kind of nannying. They can't even leave things like that alone)

What a clusterfuck Ubuntu is, symlinks all over the place, libraries in alternate directories even if you're not using multilib etc. You better be a novice that uses only what they give you if you're going to use that distro because if you break it, you're screwed.

Unity? All I can do is laugh at that... an xterm is a more productive user interface than that, for me.

No I won't stop murmurring and accept it, as people admonish. I don't want people to think that Ubuntu is what Linux distributions are all about. If anything, Canonical is going to ruin "Linux".

Comment

Working...
                    X