Unity 7 Still Being Tuned Ahead Of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
    Ubuntu is a terrible distribution in my books. Dumbed down yet crippled up with arbitrary difficulty and complexity.

What a clusterfuck Ubuntu is, symlinks all over the place, libraries in alternate directories even if you're not using multilib etc. You better be a novice that uses only what they give you if you're going to use that distro because if you break it, you're screwed.

Unity? All I can do is laugh at that... an xterm is a more productive user interface than that, for me.
    If you hate Ubuntu so much, then why the hell are you using it? Or is this just a bad attempt at trolling? btw the left shift key is Grub's "force show the menu" key. A simple Google search would've provided you with that information. I think most installs of Grub on single-distro systems will hide the menu screen, it might even be the default (it's unnecessary for most users to see a menu screen when they turn on the computer, Apple and Microsoft both also hide the boot loader menu)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      If you hate Ubuntu so much, then why the hell are you using it? Or is this just a bad attempt at trolling?
      Why the hell are you so defensive? If someone doesn't like Ubuntu, why is it your problem? And why do you accuse someone of trolling just because they have a different opinion from yours?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Why the hell are you so defensive? If someone doesn't like Ubuntu, why is it your problem? And why do you accuse someone of trolling just because they have a different opinion from yours?
        a) I'm not. Why are you?
        b) It isn't my problem - I really don't care
        c) That was not the reason. He uses Ubuntu, but really hates it. Would you use something if you hated it? There are plenty of alternatives. Why not use Arch or Debian or Fedora? If someone told you "I keep deliberately banging my head against the wall. I really hate doing it. It inflicts great pain on me and ruins my life", then surely the first question you would ask is "why do you do it?" Followed shortly, one would assume, by a suggestion to seek an alternative path in life? Or is acceptance of a life of painful mediocrity something you would encourage?

Comment

a) I'm not. Why are you?
          b) It isn't my problem - I really don't care
          c) That was not the reason. He uses Ubuntu, but really hates it. Would you use something if you hated it? There are plenty of alternatives. Why not use Arch or Debian or Fedora? If someone told you "I keep deliberately banging my head against the wall. I really hate doing it. It inflicts great pain on me and ruins my life", then surely the first question you would ask is "why do you do it?" Followed shortly, one would assume, by a suggestion to seek an alternative path in life? Or is acceptance of a life of painful mediocrity something you would encourage?
          No, you were being defensive. Own up to it. The moment someone says something negative about Ubuntu, you jump in and start accusing them of trolling. Why can't you let others have their opinion? Someone who is not being defensive would have shrugged, said "ok, we all have different opinions/tastes" and moved on. Not instantly jumping in trying to discredit other people's opinions.

For that matter, I can honestly say "windows xp sucks horse dick". I don't currently use windows xp anymore, and haven't used it in years, so does that mean I can no longer have any opinion on windows xp? And if that is not the case, then why would it be the case for Ubuntu? Besides that, people may not always get to choose what OS they use. Some people may have to deal with OS's they don't like due to work, doing favors to friends, or any number of reasons.

In fact, you're using circular logic. By your logic, no one can ever say anything negative about Ubuntu, because you can always counter it with "well, if it sucks, you shouldn't be using it". And if they're not using it, then they can't criticize it either, because they don't know what it's like. That kind of attitude is not only irrational, it's an attempt to silence criticism and stifle open discussion.

In short, you're behaving in every way like an irrational fanboy. The sooner you recognize this behaviour in yourself and accept it, the sooner you can strive to correct that behaviour and become a better, happier person.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            No, you were being defensive. Own up to it. The moment someone says something negative about Ubuntu, you jump in and start accusing them of trolling. Why can't you let others have their opinion? Someone who is not being defensive would have shrugged, said "ok, we all have different opinions/tastes" and moved on. Not instantly jumping in trying to discredit other people's opinions.

For that matter, I can honestly say "windows xp sucks horse dick". I don't currently use windows xp anymore, and haven't used it in years, so does that mean I can no longer have any opinion on windows xp? And if that is not the case, then why would it be the case for Ubuntu? Besides that, people may not always get to choose what OS they use. Some people may have to deal with OS's they don't like due to work, doing favors to friends, or any number of reasons.

In fact, you're using circular logic. By your logic, no one can ever say anything negative about Ubuntu, because you can always counter it with "well, if it sucks, you shouldn't be using it". And if they're not using it, then they can't criticize it either, because they don't know what it's like. That kind of attitude is not only irrational, it's an attempt to silence criticism and stifle open discussion.

In short, you're behaving in every way like an irrational fanboy. The sooner you recognize this behaviour in yourself and accept it, the sooner you can strive to correct that behaviour and become a better, happier person.
            Dee, you seem to have me confused with someone who has an attachment to Ubuntu. In fact, I would have given exactly the same advice regardless of distro. "I use distro X, it's terrible, I hate it". So try another. There is plenty of choice. The fact that you are so irrationally consumed with anti-Ubuntu hatred is something you should try to admit and accept. Doing so will not only make you happy, but also bring you wealth and riches beyond your wildest dreams.

Comment

Dee, you seem to have me confused with someone who has an attachment to Ubuntu. In fact, I would have given exactly the same advice regardless of distro. "I use distro X, it's terrible, I hate it". So try another. There is plenty of choice.
              Well, first of all, the original poster to whom you originally responded to never said whether they currently use Ubuntu or not. With that in mind, allow me to reiterate the exact same thing I said in my previous post, since it seems you failed to read it on the first time:

When you immediately attack someone just for voicing a negative opinion about Ubuntu, accuse them of trolling, dismiss their opinion... it definitely does not look like the words of someone who "has no attachment to Ubuntu".

The fact that you are so irrationally consumed with anti-Ubuntu hatred is something you should try to admit and accept. Doing so will not only make you happy, but also bring you wealth and riches beyond your wildest dreams.
              Well, that's a pretty funny - if somewhat clumsy - attempt at turning the tables and throwing my own words against me, but it kind of fails in that I've never actually expressed any kind of anti-Ubuntu hatred. You're probably confusing me with someone else.

Comment

Why bring hatred to make yourself and others unhappy? If you dislike something you can just ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                X