Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg May Be On Its Way To Returning To Debian

Phoronix: FFmpeg May Be On Its Way To Returning To Debian

When FFmpeg was forked into Libav, Debian ended up taking the route of packaging and shipping Libav in place of FFmpeg. However, there's many people that prefer FFmpeg to Libav with FFmpeg's continued progress, and now this multimedia project may be on its way to finding itself in the Debian archive once again...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been happily using debmultimedia repo to replace libav with ffmpeg. Debian should either switch back to ffmpeg or leave well enough alone. Trying to have them side by side in the main repo sounds problematic since they're just different enough to cause problems.

If Debian wants to support both libav and ffmpeg, I think they'd be better served by donating bandwidth/money/dev time to the debmultimedia project. It is a very good repo and causes fewer packaging issues then Debian sid itself.

Comment

I prefer ffmpeg, why they chose libav in the first place is beyond me.

Comment

For those who are wondering why ffmpeg was forked, a bit of history : http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          I prefer ffmpeg, why they chose libav in the first place is beyond me.
          It looked like a good idea at the time. libav was made to have a better governing model to improve code quality, reduce the bus factor and make everything more democratic/meritocratic.
          Unfortunately, it turns out it ended up being bureucratic instead, with too strict rules (I hear they even required approval for whitespace cleanup patches), while ffmpeg sorted their issues out on their own and pragmatically carried on, thus spurring more development on the ffmpeg side and leaving libav behind in terms of features (due to their stringent rules it takes a long time to merge ffmpeg changes, if at all). Thus now it's a better idea to use ffmpeg instead of libav.

On other Debian news, there will be an IRC meeting tomorrow, and the init coupling question is on the table. Given the current situation, it might result in some surprising changes... Hopefully not, but a lot can happen in an IRC meeting. If anything, I can see Jackson starting a GR shortly after the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I've been happily using debmultimedia repo to replace libav with ffmpeg. Debian should either switch back to ffmpeg or leave well enough alone. Trying to have them side by side in the main repo sounds problematic since they're just different enough to cause problems.

If Debian wants to support both libav and ffmpeg, I think they'd be better served by donating bandwidth/money/dev time to the debmultimedia project. It is a very good repo and causes fewer packaging issues then Debian sid itself.
            My own experiences with deb-multimedia.org (DMO) were the other way around. I used it for a very long time, and appreciated the work Christian Marillat was putting into it, but eventually most packages that I wanted out of it made their way into Debian proper, and all I was left with were conflicts and incompatibilites due to DMO packages bringing in ffmpeg as a dependency and official Debian packages that were built against libav not working with ffmpeg (and DMO not having equivalent replacements). I don't want to take sides in the ffmpeg vs libav war - I've read enough to see that there's deep issues involved that an outsider has no business getting into - but when it comes to a working system that has the functionality I need, in modernity DMO simply does not solve enough problems to justify the additional problems it causes me.

Comment

Remember wodim?

Cdrtools ist eine Reihe von Befehlszeilenprogrammen, die es ermöglichen, CD/DVD/BluRay-Medien zu beschreiben. Es stammt von Jörg Schilling, der auch Schillix entwickelt hat. Die Suite enthält die folgenden Programme: cdrecord – Ein CD/DVD/BD-Brennprogramm readcd – Ein Programm zum Lesen von CD/DVD/BD-Medien mit CD-Klonfunktionen. cdda2wav – Das am weitesten entwickelte CD-Audio-Extraktionsprogramm mit Paranoia-Unterstützung. mkisofs – Ein Programm ... Weiterlesen ...

That was a good year of fun.

Almost as fun when Intel forked up Xorg., ie Ubuntu 9.04/9.10

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                My own experiences with deb-multimedia.org (DMO) were the other way around. I used it for a very long time, and appreciated the work Christian Marillat was putting into it, but eventually most packages that I wanted out of it made their way into Debian proper, and all I was left with were conflicts and incompatibilites due to DMO packages bringing in ffmpeg as a dependency and official Debian packages that were built against libav not working with ffmpeg (and DMO not having equivalent replacements). I don't want to take sides in the ffmpeg vs libav war - I've read enough to see that there's deep issues involved that an outsider has no business getting into - but when it comes to a working system that has the functionality I need, in modernity DMO simply does not solve enough problems to justify the additional problems it causes me.
                Ditto on your experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                  Ugh, I never knew that. Both sides are insane, I'm just happy libburnia exists...

Comment

Hah, Debian still ships wodim?

My totals:
                    wodim: 2 coasters, stopped using after that
                    schily: 0 coasters in 10+ years

Comment

Working...
                    X