Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numix Is Going To Develop Its Own Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Numix Is Going To Develop Its Own Linux Distribution

The Numix Project started out as a theme and icon suite that aimed to differentiate and be more usable than other Linux desktop styles, but now they have decided to come up with their own Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see the point. Seriously, why yet more duplication of effort? Take a look at just the sheer number of Ubuntu spinoffs, not even the sup spinoffs let alone the spinoffs of Debian. But this is just the definition of insanity.

With all of the THOUSANDS of insignificant pet distros out there why bother making yet another?

Do they not see that theres other Linux market segments being undeserved? A distro independent "app store" in the same vein as the Ubuntu shop would be more useful, since Gameolith and Desura are floundering with their purely games only platforms as they just don't have the momentum, first party titles or marketing to even come close to Valve. But then nobody does, just look at EA's Origin shop.

Maybe even do the Amazon model and also sell physical goods as well like Tux merch, guide books and Linux preinstalled comps(Ohava, Think Penguin, Zareason, System76 as well as OpenPandora, OpenMoko/Ubuntu Phone devices, other OSS hardware like the ColorHug etc.) all from a single storefront that also handles the software licenses and updates just as Steam does.

Comment

Some corrections.

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      I don't see the point. Seriously, why yet more duplication of effort? Take a look at just the sheer number of Ubuntu spinoffs, not even the sup spinoffs let alone the spinoffs of Debian. But this is just the definition of insanity.
      well on Nitrux under "Nitrux OS" tab we can see:

Our first foray into the world of Linux distributions, Nitrux? OS, as of version 1.0 (to be released in full-final form in April '14) is currently based on Ubuntu+1, that is the development version of Ubuntu?, that basically means we pack the latest software as it's available for it, though we'll switch repositories before version 2.0 to our own while keeping binary compatibility with it with the intention of becoming a rolling-release distribution.
      so in the future as I understand it will become independent and not Ubuntu based.

Unless I am mistaken and Nitrux OS is very different thing. Because numix mentioned gnome-shell, and Nitrux mentioned:

We have chosen the KDE SC as our default desktop, currently at version 4.12.x, as it provides a quick, responsive desktop all magnified by our custom resources from artwork to system tweaks which include performance tweaks for the hardware in which it'll run.

With Nitrux? OS we have simplified the KDE desktop, at the best of our abilities, from the looks to its resource usage, removing any bloatware from the base system and the desktop environment, which has increased its performance significantly.
      So they (Nitrux and Numix) are collaborating and producing two distros? Then that is stupid.

Comment

brb downloading Ubuntu Satanic and Ubuntu Christian Edition. Michael should benchmark these two against eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          brb downloading Ubuntu Satanic and Ubuntu Christian Edition. Michael should benchmark these two against eachother.
          I noticed from the image that there is now also a muslim edition, better test that one to.

Comment

Originally posted by e?iukas View Post
            well on Nitrux under "Nitrux OS" tab we can see:

so in the future as I understand it will become independent and not Ubuntu based.

So they (Nitrux and Numix) are collaborating and producing two distros? Then that is stupid.
            Hmm, interesting point, the article does say they're doing a collaboration, but the goals of Nitrux OS are not at all what is described by the article to be the goals of Numix. The former focuses on lightweight KDE, the latter on gaming. So I'm not sure what cooperation amounts to here.

Also, while Nitrux OS core idea (which is basically to have a KLyDE-based distribution) is pretty good, I don't really agree with the Nitrux UI goals. If there is something nobody needs, it's a unified UI for both keyboard/mouse and touch ? that has never worked and never will, the paradigms are incompatible. Vanilla KDE has the right idea ? if the device reports that it's a tablet, switch to the tablet interface; if not and on low resolution, switch to the netbook interface; else use the desktop interface. Everyone is happy that way, and the conflicting paradigms don't get in the way. Ironically, the Nitrux website itself is a great example of them getting in the way ? on a desktop, I have no need to have the entire screen being taken up by a single picture and a few words. Desktop screens have high resolutions for a reason. The correct solution here would be to again split the paradigms by having a desktop website (with the entire content of their first page fit into a single screen without scrolling) and a mobile website (where you can have large images and fonts).

As for Numix, it does feel rather unnecessary, I don't really know what gamers would be missing in other distributions. And even then they'd be better off being based on Debian, as they could use the realtime improvements from Steam OS rather readily.

(Beje, sveikas atvykęs į forumą, smagu matyti dar vieną lietuvį )

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            I've looked at those some time ago (which was also thanks to the list that the image above was taken from), and while the Christian Edition is nothing too exciting, the Satanic Edition is pretty fancy and fun Though I think it's not maintained any more.

Comment

@Kivada

Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to create new distros, if you use the ppa infrastructure you do not even need space for an extra repository, just for a forum or homepage.

Kanotix was created before Ubuntu (and had a live system to install since day 1, Ubuntu followed this much later). If you think of the user base most likely no other distribution can compete with em (maybe the Mint variant has lots of users too).

Basically every distribution was created because something was not optimal with the existing ones and somebody could do it better. I have no time to test other distros anymore but i am sure you will often find some unique extras, depends on you if you need/want em or not - but at least you have got the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @Kivada

Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to create new distros, if you use the ppa infrastructure you do not even need space for an extra repository, just for a forum or homepage.

Kanotix was created before Ubuntu (and had a live system to install since day 1, Ubuntu followed this much later). If you think of the user base most likely no other distribution can compete with em (maybe the Mint variant has lots of users too).

Basically every distribution was created because something was not optimal with the existing ones and somebody could do it better. I have no time to test other distros anymore but i am sure you will often find some unique extras, depends on you if you need/want em or not - but at least you have got the choice.

No, it's more a million monkeys trying to write Shakespeare. The only reason I used one of the respins of Ubuntu wasn't because of anything wrong with Ubuntu, I did it merely for a different desktop UI.

Had Ubuntu not gone to Unity they should have just gone to a 4GB .iso that housed the offcial respins of Ubuntu on the same disc the same way Debian handles it.

I.E. at install ask what desktop you want be it Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu or the Ubuntu Studio version or even all of the above.

Take Mint for example. I does absolutely nothing that regular Ubuntu doesn't already do, the only difference is the choice of default UIs and pre installing the multimedia codecs. Under the hood they are the same thing.v Would there be a great loss to the world by Mint shutting down everything but their Cinnamon desktop work? Absolutely not.

Comment

Working...
                X