Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNF Continues Evolving For Fedora's Yum Replacement

Phoronix: DNF Continues Evolving For Fedora's Yum Replacement

Version 0.4.15 of the next-generation package management solution for Fedora to ultimately replace Yum, DNF, is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

rpm, deb, yum, Whats next ?

Can some one explain me why all distribution are not focusing in ONE package manager that rule-them-all ?

Why they spend efforts dividing in new package systems instead of easing application spread across all distributions ?

Comment

Originally posted by glococo View Post
      Can some one explain me why all distribution are not focusing in ONE package manager that rule-them-all ?
      Red Hat could at least have reduced fragmentation by using Zypper for their libsolv based package manager. As Rahul the Red Hat Bloodhound will tell you though, if he shows up, Red Hat has slightly different needs from SuSE, thus the Shuttleworth Shuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by maskimummu View Post
        Red Hat could at least have reduced fragmentation by using Zypper for their libsolv based package manager. As Rahul the Red Hat Bloodhound will tell you though, if he shows up, Red Hat has slightly different needs from SuSE, thus the Shuttleworth Shuffle.
        DNF is a fork of yum to adopt libsolv and the end result will be called yum. So it is not really a new package manager and aligns Fedora and SUSE closer together. The current plan is a more incremental step that results in just a performance and stability improvement without requiring users to relearn anything as opposed to rip and replace.

PS: I don't work for Red Hat and you are engaging in a ad hominem. You lose credibility by doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          DNF is a fork of yum to adopt libsolv and the end result will be called yum. So it is not really a new package manager and aligns Fedora and SUSE closer together. The current plan is a more incremental step that results in just a performance and stability improvement without requiring users to relearn anything as opposed to rip and replace.

PS: I don't work for Red Hat and you are engaging in a ad hominem. You lose credibility by doing that.
          I apologize, but it says "Red Hat" underneath your name, and you seem to post on every article that relates to Red Hat or Fedora. I assumed you were watching Phoronix as PR. Like I say, I apologize if this is just your hobby. It's good that Fedora and SuSE will be closer together - keep it up.

Comment

Alternately, SuSE should adopt DNF to reduce fragmentation. But as SuSE will tell you, they just must be different, thus something stupid about Ubuntu thrown in for no reason.

Comment

My first reply didn't go through (and it was before kgonzales) so again: I apologize. You have "Red Hat" underneath your name and you post in many stories to do with Red Hat and Fedora as well as to posts that mention Red Hat or Fedora so I assumed you were watching Phoronix as PR. If this is a hobby, my apologies twice. If Fedora gets closer to OpenSuse as you say, then good - keep it up. I have to admit, when I used Mandriva, I was happy every time AdamW posted at Distrowatch or where ever to correct misunderstandings about Mandriva or explain how to accomplish something in Mandriva. It's good for the Fedora community to have you out and about. As to kgonzales: zypper is out and mature and if you can't wonder if zypper:dnf::wayland:mir then we can simply observe that human variation allows for some people to be unimaginative, and that's okay.

Comment

I was wrong.

Understood. I apologize. I used to use Mandriva and was always happy to see posts from AdamW at Distrowatch or where ever about Mandriva. It's good for the Fedora community for you to be out and about.

Comment

Maybe I'm blocked from replying more directly.

I've tried six times to reply to RahulSundaram to say that I understood and apologize.

Comment

I've tried six times to reply to RahulSundaram to say that I understood and apologize.
                    I did get a PM and I accept the apology. The profile, I am unable to update it to remove the company affliation and I have notified Michael as well. In any case, my opinions have always been my own and I have never worked as PR anywhere. Neither has Adam for that matter. He works for Red Hat in Fedora QA dept.

Comment

Working...
                    X