GNOME 3.12 Might Come To Fedora 20, Packages Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Fedora rather needs something like the Arch User Repository. I always felt like software availability and discovery is especially bad on Fedora. Nobody wants to hunt down RPMs and RPM Fusion just dosen't cut it. I don't want to look in a thousand places to find my stuff. On Arch if it's not in place A (official repos) it's in place B (AUR) and it's nice centralized, searchable, you can leave comments, vote, get notified about future comments, super easy to contribute and install software from.
    It wouldn't help in this case because uploading newer versions of the repository packages instead of flagging them out-of-date is verboten :P.

Comment

so, they'll destroy 20 too, then. time to find another distro even before .next hits i guess. and it is really sad when this happens after being faithful user for 20 releases into evolution. mind i was also avid gnome user until 3.6

as much as i was enthusiastic about Fedora.Next on first information, initial hype in me started dying when i dug more into it. even just watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOFud4cgtV0 or reading mailing lists speaks enough. no matter how much they pretend to be community distro, one thing is sure as hell, they don't don't care what community wants, period. even in video, talker tries to initiate community feedback, where it does nothing but saying "nah, we know better" or "we don't care about that". same as fscked up gnome mentality

and here is food for thought if any Fedora.Next involved person reads it, coz i'd really want to hear answer. it is said that Workstation should be developers desktop. so, how come....
      - default desktop comes with singular most useless DE for any developer where applications are as powerful as most phone apps and still degrading?
      - DE HIG and application HIG clashes in so many ways it is not possible to imagine in worst Hall of Shame ( sadly, this starts making sense http://interfacehallofshame.eu/www.i....com/shame.htm more than F.N)
      - DE takes care to slow developer down as much as possible with useless functions that look cool in some morons head

Fedora is really going Canonical way. Canonical has CLA, Fedora has "can't hear ya". hell, even Canonical realized some ideas might not be as good as imagined http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ation-windows/

p.s. i hope it's obvious why F.N. won't see my computer and this will provide some food for thougt
      Last edited by justmy2cents; 21 February 2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I'm glad that Fedora will provide latest GNOME updates. Fedora is my favorite distribution because it offers the best vanilla GNOME experience out of the box without any modifications. At some point there might be GNOME OS but GNOME is still under construction. Until that point, Fedra will be number one for GNOME users.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          I'm glad that Fedora will provide latest GNOME updates. Fedora is my favorite distribution because it offers the best vanilla GNOME experience out of the box without any modifications. At some point there might be GNOME OS but GNOME is still under construction. Until that point, Fedra will be number one for GNOME users.
          ok, that must be joke, lol. Gnome... OS? dear god, how is that supposed to work? in order to have OS you need more than note taker and few useless applications. gnome obviously doesn't want those since their HIG and desktop specs are taken right out from their ass. as it is now, you can't even run gnome software under anything else than gnome without complete WTF? and running anything else in gnome feels obvious like ET in strip joint. i wouldn't imagine my apps respecting one single Gnome HIG nonsense, way off applications like LibreOffice, Chrome or Firefox

btw, don't keep your hopes up. Fedora users are declining rapidly and with their last incentive to distance other desktops declining will be even faster. damn lot of fedora users are flocking to korora, but, i sense that will be just temporary
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 21 February 2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            ok, that must be joke, lol. Gnome... OS? dear god, how is that supposed to work? in order to have OS you need more than note taker and few useless applications. gnome obviously doesn't want those since their HIG and desktop specs are taken right out from their ass. as it is now, you can't even run gnome software under anything else than gnome without complete WTF? and running anything else in gnome feels obvious like ET in strip joint. i wouldn't imagine my apps respecting one single Gnome HIG nonsense, way off applications like LibreOffice, Chrome or Firefox

btw, don't keep your hopes up. Fedora users are declining rapidly and with their last incentive to distance other desktops declining will be even faster. damn lot of fedora users are flocking to korora, but, i sense that will be just temporary
            GnomeOS is just a codename, it's not really an OS.

Comment

- default desktop comes with singular most useless DE for any developer where applications are as powerful as most phone apps and still degrading?
              Useless for you, you mean, because of your dislike of Gnome Shell past 3.6.
              - DE HIG and application HIG clashes in so many ways it is not possible to imagine in worst Hall of Shame ( sadly, this starts making sense http://interfacehallofshame.eu/www.i....com/shame.htm more than F.N)
              Have you tried them before jumping to the conclusion?
              - DE takes care to slow developer down as much as possible with useless functions that look cool in some morons head
              Thanks a lot for insulting some professional users running on that DE showing down. Now, have you paid these desktop environments developers to do these tasks? No?

Comment

About GNOME OS, it is just an idea.
                Well I don't care much what distro is under the hood as long as it is new, stable and offers pure GNOME experience. I think that KDE looks bloated, crowded and ugly but I don't participate in subjects about KDE because I don't care. Hatred is not good for anyone. If you don't like it, ignore it, it is not for you. Let them enjoy. I only care about things I like and about things that make me happy. Why do we need to have useless and ugly space-wasting titlebars for decades in every single OS in The Universe? Why do we need a start button with a little menu in the corner of the screen? Is it written in the Bible? I like innovation and experimentation. I'm sure that hundreds of years from now operating systems will look and behave radically different. The sooner the better. I don't want a free replica of Windows. I want something exciting and original that has been rethought from the ground up. Traditional desktops are getting boring. GNOME 3 is a huge success! I always like to see what are they going to do next.

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
                  It's not kept in a usable state. It's not even as stable as the Arch Linux testing repositories because it's treated as a staging ground.
                  That's putting it rather too strongly. I've been running Rawhide on my desktop since F20 was released. There are several other Fedora devs who do this, and we keep at least the bits we use working pretty well.

It's not a stable release, and I wouldn't recommend most people use it, but saying it's 'not in a usable state' is going too far.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Fedora rather needs something like the Arch User Repository. I always felt like software availability and discovery is especially bad on Fedora. Nobody wants to hunt down RPMs and RPM Fusion just dosen't cut it. I don't want to look in a thousand places to find my stuff. On Arch if it's not in place A (official repos) it's in place B (AUR) and it's nice centralized, searchable, you can leave comments, vote, get notified about future comments, super easy to contribute and install software from.

Comment

so, they'll destroy 20 too, then. time to find another distro even before .next hits i guess. and it is really sad when this happens after being faithful user for 20 releases into evolution. mind i was also avid gnome user until 3.6

as much as i was enthusiastic about Fedora.Next on first information, initial hype in me started dying when i dug more into it. even just watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOFud4cgtV0 or reading mailing lists speaks enough. no matter how much they pretend to be community distro, one thing is sure as hell, they don't don't care what community wants, period. even in video, talker tries to initiate community feedback, where it does nothing but saying "nah, we know better" or "we don't care about that". same as fscked up gnome mentality

and here is food for thought if any Fedora.Next involved person reads it, coz i'd really want to hear answer. it is said that Workstation should be developers desktop. so, how come....

Fedora is really going Canonical way. Canonical has CLA, Fedora has "can't hear ya". hell, even Canonical realized some ideas might not be as good as imagined http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ation-windows/

p.s. i hope it's obvious why F.N. won't see my computer and this will provide some food for thougt
                      too troll; didn't read

Comment

Working...
                      X