No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Adds Support For Local Menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this change. I've never been a fan of a global menu even when I used to use OS X on a 2006/2007 MacBook Pro (a global menu was the least of my issues with that notebook). Saving vertical space or not, for me, Ubuntu's global menu is a pain when compared to a local menu especially when you're using multiple apps and windows that are not maximized. My experience was worse on high resolution and/or large displays.

I like the way they're integrating it as well. The local menu is integrated into the window title bar instead of dedicating a row of the window. The menu still only appears on mouse hover though. Looking at the video from the linked to site, when you mouse hover over the title bar of a non-active window, the local menu doesn't appear until that window becomes active (ie. click on it). I'd prefer the local menu to appear on any window on mouse hover. I could enable the focus to follow the mouse but I don't like that behavior myself.

Maybe, I'll move back to Ubuntu/Unity from Xubuntu some time in the future. Right now, I'm liking Thunar's custom actions feature and Xfce's Generic Monitor for custom panel applets. Maybe Canonical will implement a customizable context menu in their future file manager. I hear Nemo's Nemo Actions are pretty good and seems to have more features than Thunar's but from what I've read it's not likely going to be used by Ubuntu. As for custom panel applets, I've only seen indicator-sysmonitor but it isn't as customizable as Xfce's Generic Monitor which allows you to change fonts, size, colors, etc.
    Last edited by guido12; 22 February 2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
      I like this change. I've never been a fan of a global menu even when I used to use OS X on a 2006/2007 MacBook Pro (a global menu was the least of my issues with that notebook). Saving vertical space or not, for me, Ubuntu's global menu is a pain when compared to a local menu especially when you're using multiple apps and windows that are not maximized. My experience was worse on high resolution and/or large displays.

I like the way they're integrating it as well. The local menu is integrated into the window title bar instead of dedicating a row of the window. The menu still only appears on mouse hover though. Looking at the video from the linked to site, when you mouse hover over the title bar of a non-active window, the local menu doesn't appear until that window becomes active (ie. click on it). I'd prefer the local menu to appear on any window on mouse hover. I could enable the focus to follow the mouse but I don't like that behavior myself.

Maybe, I'll move back to Ubuntu/Unity from Xubuntu some time in the future. Right now, I'm liking Thunar's custom actions feature and Xfce's Generic Monitor for custom panel applets. Maybe Canonical will implement a customizable context menu in their future file manager. I hear Nemo's Nemo Actions are pretty good and seems to have more features than Thunar's but from what I've read it's not likely going to be used by Ubuntu. As for custom panel applets, I've only seen indicator-sysmonitor but it isn't as customizable as Xfce's Generic Monitor which allows you to change fonts, size, colors, etc.
      xfce is just the best environment for people that do real work on a computer. unity, gnome are toys and KDE is just too bloated

Comment

Working...
      X