No License Needed For Kubuntu Derivatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Same here. Unless they pay Debian, it's a real scumbag move how they mooch of debian but they charge others. To be fair though, (IIRC) Mint does use Ubuntu's servers, whereas Ubuntu doesn't use Debian's servers. On the other hand, considering Mint is gaining more popularity than Ubuntu, it is fair that Canonical doesn't want to be paying so much for someone else's distro.
    Except Ubuntu doesn't pay for most of their servers, either. The community provides them with free mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Same here. Unless they pay Debian, it's a real scumbag move how they mooch of debian but they charge others. To be fair though, (IIRC) Mint does use Ubuntu's servers, whereas Ubuntu doesn't use Debian's servers. On the other hand, considering Mint is gaining more popularity than Ubuntu, it is fair that Canonical doesn't want to be paying so much for someone else's distro.
      Last I checked, they're not charging anyone. Canonical's license says that Mint is forbidden from striking OEM deals (so Mint can't be shipped on new devices by default). And yea, as mentioned, Mint doesn't necessarily use Canonical's servers, they use third party mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan View Post
        Me too, and I also like the HUD brought up by the Alt key too. They should have just taken Wayland Minor fragmentations aren't problems, but when the display servers cause fragmentation, uh... oh... Unless they can turn Mir into Wayland.
        i think wayland and mir is a minor problem! they are almost the same! drivers will need to support the same features!

but canonical forcing licenses, its horrible!
        some people are trying to skip even the gpl, besides protecting developers. forcing to contribute in a corporate world its not a good thing!
        google are trying to force corporates to contributes with source playing with the same cards! patents...

Comment

I don't understand. How can Canonical charge for Ubuntu when Ubuntu itself is based on something else? What exactly are they trying to charge for?

Comment

I, too, have been less enthused about various practices of Canonical. I have attempted to try many different distros again after some years of happily using Ubuntu... but they were all underwhelming. Not because of the stability, I loved using Debian stable again. Arch is also somewhat enjoyable. However, I really have grown to love Unity. I know many people hate it but it's surprisingly efficient for me. It's very keyboard-centric and is MINIMAL. It gets out of my way. I spent a lot of time with gnome-shell and hated how ****ing HUGE everything is. Despite my best efforts, my screen real-estate was just miserably small. With unity I have the top panel taking up a few pixels and the rest is all mine. I've experimented with using cinnamon + dock with custom keybindings with xbindkeys and wmcontrol... but it's just a hacky workaround. I like being able to switch quickly with <super>+(1-9).

So, in essence, how does one get those lovely <super>+(1,9) shortcuts and huge space savings? Closest I've come is a gnome shell extension that barely functions correctly, but even then I'm stuck with actually using the unusable. Unity-for-arch is interesting but ultimately lacking.

Comment

Canonical are really alienating themselves from the community and its users.

Big respect to Jonathan Riddell and the Kubuntu developers and community.

Comment

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon...t-426770.shtml

Well, to be fair, Linux Mint is using the Ubuntu repositories, there are no trouble with the extenal servers, they always have packages of other distros to, but the official server of Ubuntu is used by default in Mint, in my opinion this situation is similar to the "Hot Link" is a stole of bandwith. I don't know about the content of the Licence Aggrement, but could have some restrictive items or not. Anyways will be nice ear a explanaiton from Clement Labrefv about this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                  http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon...t-426770.shtml

Well, to be fair, Linux Mint is using the Ubuntu repositories, there are no trouble with the extenal servers, they always have packages of other distros to, but the official server of Ubuntu is used by default in Mint, in my opinion this situation is similar to the "Hot Link" is a stole of bandwith. I don't know about the content of the Licence Aggrement, but could have some restrictive items or not. Anyways will be nice ear a explanaiton from Clement Labrefv about this situation.
                  I agree. I would be upset if Ubuntu used debian's servers, and I think it's pretty lame for all these distros to use Ubuntu's.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
                    yep... i will abandon unity!
                    its sad, i really like global menu!
                    Global menu isn't exclusive to Unity. Its easy to do with KDE

Comment

Before jumping to conclusions I would recommend reading the following:

Ubuntu Community Council Statement

and

Canonical's Intellectual Property Policy

Keep in mind, as well, that Jonathan is expressing his personal opinion from his view point. From what I have read the facts are not in alignment with what he presented in his post.

Comment

Working...
                      X