No announcement yet.

Systemd Is The Future Of Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's understandable that Ubuntu devs are upset. They had the best init system for years, but nobody adopted it until it was too late. Granted, that was partly their own fault, but I'm sure that doesn't dull the sting much.

Anyway, like I said, they have at least two years to try to convince people that Upstart is the better choice, so I don't see them dropping it any time soon.

Comment

As to the canonical people who have a problem with this - maybe you should actually try contributing to the community and what already exists than get mad that nobody else wants to follow you. The open source community is not obligated to put work into YOUR efforts while you profit on them.

Mir is another good example of this - it will not gain much traction as long as other desktop environments don't want to join in, and I'm sure when Wayland becomes usable on a regular basis, canonical will start complaining that nobody is using mir.

Comment

Wayland is already more usable than X in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
          It's understandable that Ubuntu devs are upset. They had the best init system for years, but nobody adopted it until it was too late. Granted, that was partly their own fault, but I'm sure that doesn't dull the sting much.

Anyway, like I said, they have at least two years to try to convince people that Upstart is the better choice, so I don't see them dropping it any time soon.
          wrong. OpenSuse, Fedora/RHEL, Chrome adopted upstart. but, CLA was preventing them from working on it so OpenSuse, Fedora/RHEL switched away and Chrome is still using 1.2 version. no adoption was no problem, not being able to contribute was

Comment

Originally posted by middy
            I'm glad they switched to systemd. It's a freedesktop.org standard and its about time we start using our own standards across distros instead of fragmenting each other even more.
            As the old saying goes, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Comment

I'm glad they switched to systemd. It's a freedesktop.org standard and its about time we start using our own standards across distros instead of fragmenting each other even more.
              freedesktop.org is not a formal standards organization
              http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/
              Just because something is hosted on freedesktop.org it does not magically become a standard.

Comment

whenever i see this video, i start crying how Raspberry-Pi works so much better than my i7+NVidia+XOrg. and when RPI seems competitive to high end... something is definitely wrong, lol

it is on freedesktop.org, it is NOT freedesktop.org standard. FDO gives space to anyone
                Last edited by justmy2cents; 11 February 2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  As to the canonical people who have a problem with this - maybe you should actually try contributing to the community and what already exists than get mad that nobody else wants to follow you. The open source community is not obligated to put work into YOUR efforts while you profit on them.

Mir is another good example of this - it will not gain much traction as long as other desktop environments don't want to join in, and I'm sure when Wayland becomes usable on a regular basis, canonical will start complaining that nobody is using mir.
                  Canonical people shouldn't worry one bit by this. They have their own tech and the upper hand in the user base. Upstart (or Mir) may or may not be the best toys in town. It does not matter. All they have to be is good enough and as a matter of fact they seem to be better than the current status quo (Sysvinit, X). Wayland, systemd, whatever, make sense as long you are a OS vendor and you cannot afford to maintain your own competent solution. Canonical, from a strategic long term point of view, will benefit the most by increasingly investing in their own framework, much like Google or Apple do. In that respect what Canonical needs the most right now is to find new ways to increase market share as much and as fast they possibly can.
                  Last edited by zoomblab; 11 February 2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

freedesktop.org (.xxx) is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

HAHAHA~
                      You don't remember libindicate? Canonical made something great and the community just ignored it and pretended it didn't exist.. Then the community went on to write libnotify from scratch which does pretty much the exact same thing.

Whatever Canonical does, they get screwed over by the community..

Make an awesome indicate system, the community ignores it completely and writes libnotify from scratch.
                      Make a better init system, only a few distros adopt it and everybody else waits for something better.. Systemd comes out, made by the community, and all the distros jump on it in a heartbeat.

It's a hard knock life.. For Canonical!

Community praises? They get none!
                      Community respect? Only given, just for fun!

No matter what they do,
                      They're stuck to failure, just like glue.

Make Mir so devs can get a clue.
                      Nobody cares, it's all on you!

It's a hard knock life...

To be honest, I find it kinda hilarious about how bad the community is to Canonical.
                      Last edited by Sidicas; 11 February 2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X