No announcement yet.

Systemd Is The Future Of Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not a fair comparison between X and wayland. It's a comparison between window managers.

To make X look worse, they're running a crappy window manager without compositing. Without, any window movement triggers a redraw of the whole window and the window behind, which is known to be slow.

They're saying how wayland has smooth window fading animations. It doesn't. The window manager they're using does.

In other words, just install a proper window manager, and X11 is fine. It may have its architectural flaws, but X11 itself is not noticeably slower than wayland.

Comment

OMG! They moved on! WOW! Congrats!
      Now everyone else ( including all people in this thread ) MOVE ON

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
        Habemus Init
        I lol'd at that :-P

Seriously ... it's an init system, not the holy grail or anything. Though I am happy that systemd won, it's not making my life sparkly-shining. Well, I use gentoo anyway. I just enjoy that Canonical got a boot in their butt for the stuff they did (sending desktop searchterms to amazon, Mir and all the other crap) and that even multiple voters with highly doubtable interest conflicts didn't manage to achieve the upper hand.

Comment

*tips fedora*

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
            Habemus Init
            systemd: "Urbi et orbi"

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
              I just enjoy that Canonical got a boot in their butt for the stuff they did (sending desktop searchterms to amazon, Mir and all the other crap)
              Since when creating a new free software project (Mir) is a "crap" move? The "community"(Actually the redhat and other "great" companies) did the same with upstart/systemd and with libindicate/libnotify

Comment

It's just a impression, or almost nobody care about the technical differences between systemd and upstart?

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
                  Since when creating a new free software project (Mir) is a "crap" move? The "community"(Actually the redhat and other "great" companies) did the same with upstart/systemd and with libindicate/libnotify
                  If you are Canonical, it's a crap move.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                    I just enjoy that Canonical got a boot in their butt for the stuff they did (sending desktop searchterms to amazon, Mir and all the other crap) and that even multiple voters with highly doubtable interest conflicts didn't manage to achieve the upper hand.
                    Well, let me clue you on on something.

Whenever you go to google.com and search for something that I find particularly interesting.
                    Google sends me information about what you saw on that google search page, what links you clicked, and exactly what time you clicked them.
                    Yes, I pay google to do this and they do it.

You think just because Canonical sends some searchterms to Amazon, is such a crime. I think that's ridiculous. It's standard practice for search engines. I think this example more than anything shows people wanting to just make up whatever reasons to rationalize their irrational dislike/hate for Canonical.
                    Last edited by Sidicas; 11 February 2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                      HAHAHA~
                      You don't remember libindicate? Canonical made something great and the community just ignored it and pretended it didn't exist.. Then the community went on to write libnotify from scratch which does pretty much the exact same thing.

Whatever Canonical does, they get screwed over by the community..

Make an awesome indicate system, the community ignores it completely and writes libnotify from scratch.
                      Make a better init system, only a few distros adopt it and everybody else waits for something better.. Systemd comes out, made by the community, and all the distros jump on it in a heartbeat.

It's a hard knock life.. For Canonical!

Community praises? They get none!
                      Community respect? Only given, just for fun!

No matter what they do,
                      They're stuck to failure, just like glue.

Make Mir so devs can get a clue.
                      Nobody cares, it's all on you!

It's a hard knock life...

To be honest, I find it kinda hilarious about how bad the community is to Canonical.
                      whatever community does is under free for all license, whatever Canonical does is under CLA which basically means Canonical is owner of that work. now, go and figure out why no one wants to sign it. upstart would have no problem in adoption if there was no CLA, distros actually started to adopt it, then they opted for new project where license is not problematic

if they would stop with CLA, community would actually be able to contribute. but, hey... CLA was enforced on Canonical by community i guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X