Systemd Is The Future Of Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
    Conveniently forgetting ChromeOS, I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ubuntu jumping onto the SystemD bandwagon for 14.10 anyway. Although, when's Jessie out? End of 2015? So, Ubuntu are better off waiting until 15.04 or 15.10, which should give them a cycle or two to get into sync and bugfix before the 16.04 LTS.

I'll miss this drama now it's all over.

Comment

Jessie has no fixed release date but the time between releases was around 24 +/- 2-3 months for the the last couple of releases. It should be ~Q1 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by scaine View Post
        I wouldn't be surprised to see Ubuntu jumping onto the SystemD bandwagon for 14.10 anyway.
        This.

It's probably just a matter of time until Canonical follows along, now that everyone seems to be either switching from Upstart, or going from SysVinit to systemd directly.

Comment

Originally posted by scaine View Post
          I'll miss this drama now it's all over.
          Not even close. There's very little question that a General Resolution is coming.

Not to mention the whole T/L thing isn't settled.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerry View Post
            This.

It's probably just a matter of time until Canonical follows along, now that everyone seems to be either switching from Upstart, or going from SysVinit to systemd directly.
            Indeed, it's what Canonical did with Wayland too, they waited until everyone went along with it and then ... adopt... went ahead and insisted that Mir is better. So don't hold your breath.
            I'm sure SystemD and Mir are the best.

Comment

Habemus Init

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                Not even close. There's very little question that a General Resolution is coming.

Not to mention the whole T/L thing isn't settled.
                I expect a GR as likely, but systemd will likely win.

About loose coupling, I don't know if that's technically feasible for all packages, having already chosen systemd.
                Last edited by newwen; 11 February 2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Just about everybody on the CTTE agrees that packages on Jesse should retain SysVinit compatibility, and Debian cycles are about 2 years long. Ubuntu still has a lot of time to try to prove that Upstart is superior to systemd.

Comment

Indeed, it's what Canonical did with Wayland too, they waited until everyone went along with it and then ... adopt... went ahead and insisted that Mir is better. So don't hold your breath.
                    Init system != display server/protocol. Mir was created because Wayland wouldn't "fit their needs" in order to accomplish the converged experience they were looking for (Unity touch/desktop/tv sharing the same code).

When it comes to Upstart and systemd, I fail to see anything Canonical possibly wouldn't be able to do with systemd that they are able to do with Upstart.

Comment

SystemD is indeed the best choice for the moment.

However, Mir is only a good choice for in-house solutions (unity and unity-touch), since Mir do not expose a stable API and might break other DE adopting Mir. Unity (next) is made for Mir and Mir is made for unity.
                      Mir can become a standard, as long as they provide a stable API across versions and officially support other distribution than Ubuntu. Sadly, they are not.

Wayland is in a better state than Mir and is way closer to become the next standard.

DEs are slowly picking SystemD and starts to port to wayland. Debian choosing SystemD is the first step, and the next step will be Wayland desktop by default.
                      I think it's really sad to see Ubuntu separating himself from other ditributions, they could have contribute so much instead of starting their own stack.

Comment

Working...
                      X