Ubuntu Planning To Develop Its Own File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    Where there was a simple and working search-in-folder-as-you-type feature, they forced a slow and dubious recursive search (which Ubuntu somehow restored lately).
    They took the search-as-you-type feature? That's a really, really poor decision.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      That is an absolute cluster-f of a way to do software development. And you never see it anywhere in any circumstance in any place that does professional software. The users are not beta testers that should be enduring the development process on their systems. They foist this stuff that isn't even half-baked yet onto us and then there's some kind of shock to see that all we can do is bang our heads onto our desks until unconsciousness sets in.

The Linux desktop is broken because just as we begin to reach a stage of product completion and squashing the big bugs, somebody comes along and says, "Great! Let's throw that all out and start over!" The professional way to handle a transition like this is to maintain GNOME2 until GNOME3 is fully developed and ready for public consumption, then you release GNOME 3. You don't just pull the plug on it. Of course Canonical plays a role in this for Ubuntu users since they should have just maintained GNOME2 instead of giving us that broken mess of Unity and asking us to endure all of its brokenness. But when the entire system becomes a trainwreck of dependencies on GTK3 and other GNOME crap, I guess they felt they had to move with GNOME to keep up to date.

JMO. But GNOME is amateur software. Amateur at best.
      I basically agree with you. I'd say Canonical had to make a decision: maintain Gnome 2 by themselves (not a very clever move IMO), go with the terrible initial Gnome Shell or try their own thing. They decided to re-create an interface that was working on netbooks before and of course it took time to grow, but in the end I believe they made the right decision, albeit a little too early (but they probably didn't want a new thing landing in an LTS, so they had little margin). It's been messy for a year or so, but Unity was fine by 12.04. Going with Qt for Unity 8 convergence plans instead of depending on the whimsical/amateurish Gnome team is the best decision Canonical has EVER made.

Creating a new file manager for Ubuntu is something that has been asked for MANY times in every Ubuntu place I usually visit. They're doing the right thing too here.

I think Canonical has made lots of mistakes in the recent years, but Unity and a new file manager are not two of them.
      Last edited by Aleve Sicofante; 01 February 2014, 10:50 PM. Reason: Correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        They took the search-as-you-type feature? That's a really, really poor decision.
        Not exactly: they turned it into a "search recursively every folder from here as you type", which makes it horribly slow and totally off the point.

Comment

Not exactly: they turned it into a "search recursively every folder from here as you type", which makes it horribly slow and totally off the point.
          Still bad, but better than I thought. If I wanted a recursive search, I'd probably use a specific program for file search.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            Still bad, but better than I thought. If I wanted a recursive search, I'd probably use a specific program for file search.
            The magnifying glass icon (or the search menu option) is what you use if you want a recursive or advanced search. It was in Nautilus already!!! I haven't checked, but they probably removed it too because that makes the looks of it oh so totally minimalist, you know: "simple and elegant"...

/s
            Last edited by Aleve Sicofante; 01 February 2014, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Gnome for tablets?

I actually like the new Gnome apps. I think a tablet with Gnome Shell would be ok. It sucks on a desktop, though.

Does anyone know if there's a project similar to the Vivaldi KDE tablet, but for Gnome?

Comment

The magnifying glass icon (or the search menu option) is what you use if you want a recursive or advanced search. It was in Nautilus already!!! I haven't checked, but they probably removed it too because that makes the looks of it oh so totally minimalist, you know: "simple and elegant"...

/s
                Oh, I didn't know. Mostly because I never need recursive search, I already know where I put my things.

Comment

This thread is far less hostile that I thought it would be!!!

OT, nautilus isn't my fav.

Comment

Ubuntu Planning To Develop Its Own _______________

What else is new...

Comment

like switching from icons to list or zooming in/out, to name just a couple.
                      Nautilus does those very explicitly. So wtf?

I'm laaaazy and I trust my provider (Ubuntu) to give me the best defaults.
                      Where you could do everything with your mouse, you're being forced to use the keyboard. Where the keyboard was fine, you're forced to use the mouse.
                      One thing Apple did get right is that they could design a better UI, being that they are pros, than the user wasting their time configuring every little detail. Android has picked up on this as has Gnome and even Ubuntu and yourself as per the quote. But then you complain about having to use the mouse where you need to use the keyboard + versa vice. You are contradicting yourself. Otherwise you didn't back up your args like how the design ideas are wrong, so they weren't convincing.

If you like Ubuntu, great, you can have it with its jumbled unity and scopes. I guess they could subsume browsers and search engines with it, seems like their m.o. Only problem is that they don't work period, let alone as good. Gnome 3, by the way only borrowed one of the greatest ideas developed by browsers -- extenstions -- to excellent effect. Despite the FUD here, I have never had 1 break on an upgrade. I totally see a split coming. When things come to a head with Wayland/Mir + Upstart/SystemD, I am sure I wlll be swiching from Ubuntu Gnome to Debian or Arch, if not sooner.

Comment

Working...
                      X