Ubuntu Planning To Develop Its Own File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I always find the hiding of files on mobile devices highly offensive. It complicates things, not makes it easier. The files are there, but without a file manager you just can't see what files are there, and where the files are, and what they're about. It's like with Windows ever since XP (or 2000?) where they hide files by default, and doesn't even show file extensions. It doesn't help. On the contrary, it's confusing and prevents you from doing management tasks. It's supposed to safeguard you from deleting or moving important files, but there are way better ways of doing that (like requiring root for that and/or displaying a message noting that you should refrain from doing so). And meanwhile hiding the files is something malware can exploit to its heart's content (I've seen several viruses that make themselves hidden and then masquerade as something else, which would be blindingly obvious if things weren't hidden to begin with).
    So are you really a regular user?
    I think the computer knowledge has begin shrinking again for younger people. It is already existing a generation people that is unaccustomed a world before iphones and mostly use tablets etc instead of computer. Their tablet and phone is to consume media. I think the time every one has a computer at home is ending. This has been a expected development (as I understand it at least 20 years) but now it is really happening.
    It is a minority that create stuff with computers and the rest can as well use a tablet or a game console... Obliviously the computer don't disappear. But I think the world every one has a one is changing. We are accustomed to "computer" and don't like to give them up in the current form, but future generations?
    Last edited by Akka; 03 February 2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      Yes, but you have to sell it as GPL software, you can't sell it as proprietary software.

But you still can't sell it as proprietary software, only Canonical is able to do that.

Why not?

2. Grant of Rights
      2.1 Copyright License
      (a) You retain ownership of the Copyright in Your
      Contribution and have the same rights to use or license the
      Contribution which You would have had without entering
      into the Agreement

Based on the grant of rights in Sections 2.1 and 2.2, if We
      include Your Contribution in a Material, We may license the
      Contribution under any license, including copyleft,
      permissive, commercial, or proprietary licenses. As a
      condition on the exercise of this right, We agree to also
      license the Contribution under the terms of the license or
      licenses which We are using for the Material on the
      Submission Date.

?Submission Date? means the date on which You Submit a
      Contribution to Us.

I am no lawyer and sure canonical can re licence or sell your contribution but as copyright owner you can to no?

[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Akka View Post
        Do it support regex? If not I think recoll have a a Unity plugin. Also Kde has a recoll plugin. Also to get regex search for KDE I think you can use nepoogle to search with regex directly in nepomuk database.
        Yes you can use Recoll from the Dash: https://launchpad.net/~recoll-backpo...recoll-1.15-on

Comment

• Originally posted by nll_a
          Yadda yadda CLA yadda yadda. It's GPL3. Grow up.
          With CLA it's GPL3 for everyone, but Canonical. Canonical gets proprietary rights to other people's contributions. Grow some brain.

Comment

• Originally posted by nll_a
            Of course GPL makes the software non-copyleft to the copyright owner. Duh.
            You seem to not understand that CLA makes Canonical copyright owner of other people's work.
            Originally posted by nll_a
            If you wanna sell software as proprietary, write proprietary software.
            Or write GPL3 software and require CLA from outside contributors (i.e. treat them as slaves)

https://plus.google.com/+ScottJamesR...ts/SiDSNnr5JTY

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              With CLA it's GPL3 for everyone, but Canonical. Canonical gets proprietary rights to other people's contributions. Grow some brain.

With CLA it's GPL3 for everyone, but Canonical and each contributor on its own. Canonical gets proprietary rights to other people's contributions. So what? You're still free to release ALL the code on GPL3, even Canonical's (they release all their code as GPL3) should Canonical ever "close" their OS. Grow some brain.

There. Fixed it for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                I am no lawyer and sure canonical can re licence or sell your contribution but as copyright owner you can to no?
                no. you can only sell your patch which i s useless without other pieces. only canonical can sell everything, i.e. useful complete product.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                  So what? You're still free to release ALL the code on GPL3, even Canonical's
                  man you are stupid. you can release ALLL!!!!111 the code on GPL3 even if it was originally under BSD licence. the point is who gets the right to release ALLLLL!!!!!111 the code under proprietary licence. and answer is: only canonical. canonical gets to fuck everyone else.
                  on the other hand with BSD everyone can release ALLL!!!!!111 the code under proprietary licence - i.e. all contributors are equal.
                  with GPL3 nobody can, so again all contributors are equal.
                  with GPL3+CLA all outside contributors are anal slaves of canonical.
                  Last edited by pal666; 03 February 2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    You seem to not understand that CLA makes Canonical copyright owner of other people's work.
                    No, it doesn't. Before discussing something you should actually read it. The CLA clearly states that the contributor remains to be the copyright owner, so you can still do with your code anything you want, including selling it under a different license, contributing it under a different license to other projects, and so on. Before calling others stupid you should learn to read yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                      I'd like to see a clone of Windows 8's 'file manager' but with tabbed windows support, it would perfect! I'd also like a linux equivalent of windows 8's 'task manager' but with a tab for gpu too which windows doesn't have. These 2 things would make linux not only more usable but more familiar to windows users switching to linux.
                      The file manager is called Windows Explorer, and task manager is just (Windows) Task Manager.

Comment

Working...
                      X