Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 13.2 Will Be Released In November

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 13.2 Will Be Released In November

It's not only Fedora that's seeing lots of fundamental changes in the Linux distribution, but openSUSE is going through a period of transition as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Aww, this sucks balls. Just jumped on this distro, and SUSE developers are abandoning it.

Comment

Given that 13.1 will remain the latest release for a while now, I hope they will consider re-mastering the 13.1 CDs/DVDs, as a fresh install is quite buggy without applying updates.

Comment

Originally posted by doweeez View Post
        Aww, this sucks balls. Just jumped on this distro, and SUSE developers are abandoning it.
        They aren't abandoning it. On the contrary, a lot of work is going on to bring SLES and openSUSE closer together. It is just that the decisions regarding the next release will be done by the community, because the full-time developers are spending all their time on infrastructure and other low-level tasks right now. But the number of paid openSUSE developers is not changing.
        Last edited by TheBlackCat; 31 January 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
          Given that 13.1 will remain the latest release for a while now, I hope they will consider re-mastering the 13.1 CDs/DVDs, as a fresh install is quite buggy without applying updates.
          That might explain why openSUSE ran so poorly off that live USB stick I created. It was slow, the package manager crashed, Firefox crashed, and installing Steam gave me an error. Doing all that on a live USB stick running Manjaro just works. I was actually thinking "Is there really such a difference between an Arch base and openSUSE's base?"

Comment

Originally posted by doweeez View Post
            If you are impatient, you are free to switch to the factory repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
              You can do this yourself already by either:

1) using the Yast Product creator module
              2) respinning it on SuSE Studio
              3) just add the update repo right during the install stage by adding the sources
              4) do a net install that uses the update repo already

Comment

Just last week I installed OpenSUSE on a year old laptop and didn't even open the terminal once. Everything just worked to the point I didn't even need to customize the desktop all that much.

So yeah. I'd say they can safely slow down their releases.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  Just last week I installed OpenSUSE on a year old laptop and didn't even open the terminal once. Everything just worked to the point I didn't even need to customize the desktop all that much.

So yeah. I'd say they can safely slow down their releases.
                  I take it you updated everything first before doing stuff. I guess if I want to give openSUSE a fair go, I'll need to do a full installation.

Comment

Skipping the summer release is probably a good idea, given that the future is coming this summer. They'll need the time to polish the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X