Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Init System Discussion Is Still Unsettled

Phoronix: Debian Init System Discussion Is Still Unsettled

The Debian init system debate by Debian technical committee members that is largely a fight between systemd and Upstart remains unresolved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Systemd, systemd, systemd!!!

Comment

Only about two of them are actually going over the technical details, while one clearly showed that he's only backing upstart because of Ubuntu and nothing else.

I'm glad that I switched my Debian systems to Fedora after Fedora 20 was released.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Debian Init System Discussion Is Still Unsettled

The Debian init system debate by Debian technical committee members that is largely a fight between systemd and Upstart remains unresolved...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NTg
        Michael, the current vote call for Jessie has been closed. Final result: Further Discussion

Source: http://lwn.net/Articles/582914/
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Michael, the current vote call for Jessie has been closed. Final result: Further Discussion

Source: http://lwn.net/Articles/582914/
          This is only for procedural reasons. They will soon create a new vote.

They wanted to stop the vote and create a better one. But the quorum was already reached, so the only way was to vote for further discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
            This is only for procedural reasons. They will soon create a new vote.

They wanted to stop the vote and create a better one. But the quorum was already reached, so the only way was to vote for further discussion.
            Yeah, there was some pretty heated argument on that... apparently the committee member who started the vote shouldn't have done so without further discussion of what they were voting for.

Seriously, the way things are going, I don't expect a decision this year. There's a slight leaning towards systemd over upstart, but having followed this thread over the past two months, I'm pretty sure they've got plenty more "further discussion" still to come. They've been arguing over the strengths and weaknesses of the different systems, they've been arguing over what kind of transition plans they need, they've been arguing over what the committee is actually authorised to rule on, and arguing over the minutia of any ruling that they might theoretically issue. All important things to consider, but there's very little sign of progress...

Comment

???

Systemd will win. upstart was good for long time, not the better solution now.

Comment

I remember when ArchLinux had introduced systemd, they lose 30% of users Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                  I remember when ArchLinux had introduced systemd, they lose 30% of users Good Luck
                  Dude...

When you make that kind of statement, you *have* to back it up with something solid. Like, really solid. I'm *very* interested in what you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                    I currently run Arch Linux - systemd is by far the best aspect of it, 10x easier than the bash scripting hell that sysv was... I would be severely disappointed in Debian's devs if they opt for upstart merely because they are associated with an estranged company that once was a driving force in the Linux (desktop) community...

Comment

Working...
                    X