Voting Proposed For Debian Jessie's Init System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Ubuntu is also only the most used distro on desktop systems.
    And in the cloud.
    I couldn't find any figures for the whole market but on Amazon (which is the biggest)
    Ubuntu have a 55% market share http://thecloudmarket.com/stats

Comment

Holy shit. I've read most of this thread and could not find anything other than personal opinions people have formed wrongly formed based on what they've read online. I highly doubt any of them have actually used systemd or an init system enough to actually care or understand anything.

If you use GNOME3/systemd it'll cause your HDD/SDD to explode and leak hydrochloric acid all over your system. It must be true because I said it on the internet.

Comment

voting huh? It's not a democracy it's a technical issue that needs a technical analysis. If they cannot perform such an analysis they should leave it as it is.

Comment

Most open source developers not associated with Canonical prefer SystemD. These include the GNOME guys, KDE, Wayland etc. Even kernel developers seem to prefer the SystemD way of things (e.g. KDBus).

Not sure whether that fact affects what Debian is going to choose, but maybe it should.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
            voting huh? It's not a democracy it's a technical issue that needs a technical analysis. If they cannot perform such an analysis they should leave it as it is.
            Or maybe they conducted the technical analysis and expressed different points of views regarding the pros and cons of each proposed solutions.

If there were a clear superior solution the vote would ne be that useful (although it might establish that there is indeed a solution which has been deemed as clearly superior). But AFAIK none of the proposed solution is ideal.

Comment

My vote: 11111

I've used systemd, upstart and sysinitv as an user. I find that systemd is a step forward in usability.

Comment

Most open source developers not associated with freedesktop.org (or it was .xxx?) prefer OpenRC
                Not sure whether that fact affects what Debian is going to choose, but maybe it should.

Comment

Why not have OpenRC for compatibility with older scripts? Or would that even work?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    Why not have OpenRC for compatibility with older scripts? Or would that even work?
                    I think OpenRC and Upstart have compatibility with older scripts but I am not sure

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                      OpenRC, Upstart and systemd all have backward compatibility with sysvinit scripts.
                      The reason the Debian TC does not consider OpenRC is that it does not provide enough improvements over plain sysvinit to be worth changing.

Comment

Working...
                      X