No announcement yet.

Fedora's Future Is Still Causing Lots Of Drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My view is that Fedora should become a distribution suitable for regular users, that is a stable release distribution like Debian, openSUSE, and *buntus.

1. At present, Debian has few maintainers, which has as a result, many bugs not getting fixed.

2. openSUSE is OK I guess, but I think it has some UI bloat, like YaST 2.

Also YaST's graphical update program, is equivalent to "zypper --patch" terminal updater program , instead of "zypper up" (or "zypper dup"). That is, it installs only bugfixes, and not newer versions, available in the normal repositories.

I think this YaST's graphical update program, is the *only* openSUSE GUI update program, for all of the supported graphical environments, except GNOME (myself prefer LXDE).

This means, a user has to run "sudo zypper up" (or "sudo zypper dup", when using additional repositories) manually, to get the latest program versions.

3. Ubuntu is going its own way with Mir, and Unity 8.

So I think there is some space, for a Red Hat, home-user oriented distribution.
    Last edited by developer; 25 January 2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I do not know why the text appeared in a column style. Perhaps it is caused by the numbering I used.

Comment

Originally posted by developer View Post
        2. openSUSE is OK I guess, but I think it has some UI bloat, like YaST 2.

Also YaST's graphical update program, is equivalent to "zypper --patch" terminal updater program , instead of "zypper up" (or "zypper dup"). That is, it installs only bugfixes, and not newer versions, available in the normal repositories.

I think this YaST's graphical update program, is the *only* openSUSE GUI update program, for all of the supported graphical environments, except GNOME (myself prefer LXDE).

This means, a user has to run "sudo zypper up" (or "sudo zypper dup", when using additional repositories) manually, to get the latest program versions.
        Yeah... no. http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Software...ating_software
        And there's also a packagekit backend for libzypp so you can use packagekit too.

/edit:
        Also... first you say there's UI bloat and then complain that there's no UI for it?! And "sudo zypper up" is always the command you want to use for update (doesn't matter how many repositories you have). "sudo zypper dup" is for upgrading between releases.
        Last edited by droste; 25 January 2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
          Yeah... no. http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Software...ating_software
          And there's also a packagekit backend for libzypp so you can use packagekit too.
          Regarding YaST Online Update, I can not find any "Package" menu in openSUSE 13.1.

Originally posted by droste
          Also... first you say there's UI bloat and then complain that there's no UI for it?!
          With "bloat", I mean some openSUSE YaST configuration options, that overlap with similar ones, provided by a desktop environment, like "Sound", "System Keyboard Layout", "Date and Time", "Language", "Network Settings", etc.

Originally posted by droste
          And "sudo zypper up" is always the command you want to use for update (doesn't matter how many repositories you have). "sudo zypper dup" is for upgrading between releases.
          "zypper dup" is needed when you use third party repositories, at least when you add them.

But I think YaST Online Update, needs an option equivalent to "zypper up", at least. You provided a link, that this was the case previously, but I can't find such an option in openSUSE 13.1 (I am using the 64-bit version).

Comment

Regarding YaST Online Update, I can not find any "Package" menu in openSUSE 13.1.
            Not the online update, but the normal software managment. Online update is only for security fixes as stated in the URL.
            kdesu /sbin/yast2 sw_single <-- this one.

With "bloat", I mean some openSUSE YaST configuration options, that overlap with similar ones, provided by a desktop environment, like "Sound", "System Keyboard Layout", "Date and Time", "Language", "Network Settings", etc.
            Well yes, but you are not forced to use them. I for one never touched any of these and they are also system-wide configurations instead of user-wide as the one the DEs provide.

"zypper dup" is needed when you use third party repositories, at least when you add them.

But I think YaST Online Update, needs an option equivalent to "zypper up", at least. You provided a link, that this was the case previously, but I can't find such an option in openSUSE 13.1 (I am using the 64-bit version).
            "zypper dup" is short for "distribution upgrade". You should only use this if you, well, upgrade your distribution: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade usually this is way too big hammer for the small nail you have. If you want to replace a single package with a version from a 3rd party repo I would recommend to only replace this package and it's dependencies selecting the version in yast2: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_change_update . Otherwise, yes, you are correct. "sudo zypper dup --from [repository]" will replace all packages with the one in the 3rd party repository.

Comment

i believe this Thread is about Fedora NOT OPenSuse, try an keep it on Fedora Folks or Michael may as well as close it

\ Fedora's Future Is Still Causing Lots Of Drama

Comment

Recently, Red Hat also acquired CentOS. We will see what happens.

Comment

RedHat/CentOS

RedHat didn't acquire CentOS, they've partnered with them. Totally different.

CentOS is still a separate community, but now money is funneling into CentOS from RedHat. I am sure they're doing this to keep people from going to the competition, which is only good business, but it will also benefit us the average user.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    i believe this Thread is about Fedora NOT OPenSuse, try an keep it on Fedora Folks or Michael may as well as close it

\ Fedora's Future Is Still Causing Lots Of Drama
                    welcome to phoronix, you must be new here...

Comment

Working...
                    X