Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Future Is Still Causing Lots Of Drama

Phoronix: Fedora's Future Is Still Causing Lots Of Drama

For those in need of some open-source drama to get your Friday morning started, there continues to be a lot of dissenting views shared between Fedora users and developers over the future of the Linux distribution with the ongoing "Fedora.next" initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

New repositories, dependencies resolution, base system and installer... It's all talk right now, but Fedora.next looks to be essentially a new distribution.

I suppose now that RH7 is set around F19/F20, they can finally take the time and get the big stuff done properly while they still can.

Comment

Me I think it is better to delay the next version and do a .next change now, unless it cause problem with getting Wayland to be default compositor, has no new RHEL will be forked for a while, so it's time do major change.

Comment

I dont see a problem in the parent company expanding their distro to the specific markets every other OS is doing ayway. AND Fedora is RH's bitch. Do as thou fucking please. None of us can stop them anyway should they wish otherwise and become AppleSoftish if that's your nightmarish imagination of RH. To me, as a person who wants to use it but never can rely on it, Fedora is awesome at pushing the limits and pokes back at the general crowd anyway and always an intrigue. I know it stablises. But zypper still won me over =P
        Hi

Comment

I don't really follow... I assume that "workstation" means desktop, which means that they'll just have a cloud and server spins, which makes sense. So what's the reported drama about? Updates?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I don't really follow... I assume that "workstation" means desktop, which means that they'll just have a cloud and server spins, which makes sense. So what's the reported drama about? Updates?
            its basically going back to the Redhat6 an beyond days before Fedora was born. what worries as long as they keep up to date with packages it doesnt bother me. but i could see this happening when they removed the old installer an made a New one. but no one knows how many releases Fedora will do. will they continue with the 6monthly release cycle or go to a 9month release cycle ( opensuse does a 9 month release cycle )

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Fedora's Future Is Still Causing Lots Of Drama

For those in need of some open-source drama to get your Friday morning started, there continues to be a lot of dissenting views shared between Fedora users and developers over the future of the Linux distribution with the ongoing "Fedora.next" initiative...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4MTg
              They've already said that too much work has been done, especially by qa (maybe Adam can tell us more), for this not to happen now.
              This has been talked about for awhile, and lots got done at flock (if you weren't there I can see how this could seem so sudden). This will result in a far better product.
              What bothers me most, however, is the workstation WG. I really wish shaeller wasn't in "charge". I'd like to see fedora be willing to make changes to the gnome product to make it more suitable for a developer/sysadmin audience. Specifically I think the"average" user should be completely dropped (I think Owen suggested this with the caveat that the reason is that the prd's shouldn't have hidden agendas).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                They aren't spins. Cloud and server are purpose built and don't share much user space (the might only share ring 0 but I'm not sure).

Comment

* post to subscribe *

Comment

I'm excited!

I've been using Fedora on and off since day one, then as my main OS since Fedora 12. I have followed and enjoyed ever single thing Fedora has done Except the whole Gnome 3 issue.

Although Gnome 3 is much better now than it has ever been, I have been swayed by the "Normal" desktop of Cinnamon.

When I saw the announcement of the new direction Fedora is going to take, I was very excited. I see some great potential in it.

However, I was very excited about the potential of Gnome 3, and that only proved to be a huge heart break.

I guess we'll see what the future holds... I'm hoping for an amazing revolution or I might actually abandon Fedora for Arch or Debian.

Hoping in Fedora though.

Comment

Working...
                    X