X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    hmm the uboot functionality intrigues me, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. Does that mean you need a uEnv to boot to grub, or, are you able to completely place grub over uboot? Because I would love to get rid of uboot - it is so poorly documented and inconsistent.

ARM in general needs a serious overhaul in the booting department. It's an inconvenient mess.
    It chainloads grub from u-boot, doesn't replace it. This means you can pretend like u-boot isn't there at the cost of some boot delay, and gain the flexibility of grub.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    When will Ubuntu fork GRUB2?Before or after forking the kernel?

Leave a comment:

• baffledmollusc
    replied
    I always knew GRUB was the "everything including the kitchen sink" bootloader, but even with that in mind, I boggled at this entry in the changelog:

Code:
    * Morse code output using system speaker
    I imagine it's so it can communicate if video fails to come up, but I still don't know whether to be impressed or horrified!

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    hmm the uboot functionality intrigues me, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. Does that mean you need a uEnv to boot to grub, or, are you able to completely place grub over uboot? Because I would love to get rid of uboot - it is so poorly documented and inconsistent.

ARM in general needs a serious overhaul in the booting department. It's an inconvenient mess.

Leave a comment:

• Ferdinand
    replied
    Originally posted by Grogan View Post
    I've recently installed Mint on /dev/sda (where an old Gentoo install used to be) for a good distro to play with Steam.
    How is steam on linux? Good experience?

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    One of the interesting issues with GRUB is that if you boot into Windows (from GRUB) you can't run the Windows Backup program.

Leave a comment:

• Grogan
    replied
    I used to really hate Grub2, but I've learned to just make sure the grub autoconfig never happens (e.g. don't install kernel updates from distro repos... I always build my own anyway) and just stick to manual edits. I usually have to manually correct things anyway when grub-mkconfig gets run.

I've recently installed Mint on /dev/sda (where an old Gentoo install used to be) for a good distro to play with Steam. I was planning on installing LILO to fix that (which I prefer because it's simple, filesystem agnostic and has no choice but to work AND I'm stubborn) but I decided not to fight it. Really Grub is better for me anyway, because when I do a new kernel in my Slackware setup I don't have to reboot to the other OS or chroot to run the lilo command. I only need to change a few characters in grub.cfg.

I don't like change.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Is grub2 bloated or is it a myth?
    I won't say its bloated, but it is definitely complex and convoluted compared to Grub1 or syslinux

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    needs moar f2fs

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    I moved some time ago to syslinux - much simpler - just KISS, like the grub 1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X