Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
    You mean Win8 (Secure Boot, Metro UI) isn't?
    I think he means whatever next Windows release that locks you to use Modern apps. Right now, you still have the option of getting your apps elsewhere and running them in desktop mode.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      Not really. It's good if you need to test something very quickly with minimal effort. But for a production system you want either Gentoo (because of its unsurpassed flexibility and rolling release model) or RHEL. Ubuntu Server is just Ubuntu without GUI, i.e. a wannabe server distro made by a company that doesn't even have a clue about kernel development.
      Not everyone likes rolling release, and rolling release isn't for everyone. For instance, I like rolling release, but at the moment it's not for me. I'm perfectly fine with using 14.04 with daily packages, but if I'm going to possibly break something, I like to know and choose when. (And yes I know you can turn off updates, but then it's just another thing to fiddle around with and it defeats one of the nice features that makes people like to use it) Some people just want it to work and then not have to fiddle with anything after that. Ubuntu Server is nice for that, but if I remember right FreeBSD gives better performance as a server anyways. So personally I would sooner use FreeBSD as a server than Gentoo.
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 17 January 2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Breaking changes are announced on the website.

Comment

WIndows rt already locked users to Metro apps

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          I think he means whatever next Windows release that locks you to use Modern apps. Right now, you still have the option of getting your apps elsewhere and running them in desktop mode.
          If you recall, there has already been one version of Windows 8 that was a walled garden with only official Metro/Modern apps allowed: the failed Windows rt for ARM tablets. The existance of that combined with the Windows Store et al must have scared the crap out of Steam and Intel. Steam would have faced extortionate demands for "license" fees as a condition of entry to the Microsoft Store-or possibly the MS Store would have sought to replace Steam outright.

The rejection of Windows RT by consumers reduces but does not eliminate the threat that Windows 9 will be an Apple-style locked garden. Valve and Intel have now fired two heavy broadsides across Microsoft's bow. Like smugglers or poachers at sea, surely they understand what THAT means!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            If you recall, there has already been one version of Windows 8 that was a walled garden with only official Metro/Modern apps allowed: the failed Windows rt for ARM tablets. The existance of that combined with the Windows Store et al must have scared the crap out of Steam and Intel. Steam would have faced extortionate demands for "license" fees as a condition of entry to the Microsoft Store-or possibly the MS Store would have sought to replace Steam outright.

The rejection of Windows RT by consumers reduces but does not eliminate the threat that Windows 9 will be an Apple-style locked garden. Valve and Intel have now fired two heavy broadsides across Microsoft's bow. Like smugglers or poachers at sea, surely they understand what THAT means!
            Still, desktop Win 8 is not. The point wasn't "there exists no walled-garden Windows" but rather "there exists at least one non-walled-garden Windows". Also, i disregard Windows RT and all Windows for mobile, for now. They aren't quite successful, so even if they weren't walled gardens it'd be pointless to port games there, IMO.
            I don't think they tried to sell licenses to Valve, either, as they want to be the ones taking the cut of the cake, and that wouldn't be possible with Steam circumventing their app store. They just don't want Steam at all, the way I see it. But right now they can't afford killing desktop mode in dektop Windows, they need people and specially developers to embrace Modern first.
            Lastly, I never implied that there is no threat they will be closing their garden, as it's obvious that's what they want to do. I just pointed out they haven't manage to completely do it yet.

Comment

Didn't Microsoft do something stupid like this a while back? It started with a V I think...

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                Still, desktop Win 8 is not. The point wasn't "there exists no walled-garden Windows" but rather "there exists at least one non-walled-garden Windows"
                Yeah, so? What about Windows 9?

You might say Microsoft would never try forcing all software into their 'app store', but no-one thought Windows 8 would try to push a tablet interface onto the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
                  Yeah, so? What about Windows 9?

You might say Microsoft would never try forcing all software into their 'app store', but no-one thought Windows 8 would try to push a tablet interface onto the desktop.
                  movieman. Read. The. Post.
                  Answering comes after. When you thoroughly understand what I posted, complete, specially with the "it's obvious their intent is to force people to use their app store and they don't want Steam to get in the way of it".

Comment

Working...
                  X