Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I hate to break it to you guys but if it weren't for them doing things like forking gnome-shell, they wouldn't be so (as you call it) undeservingly popular.
    I hate to break it to you, but they are so undeserving popular because they prefer marketing over technical superiority, even to the extend that they release buggy instead of moving the release date.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Valve depends on a good desktop system for its userbase
      They seemed OK with Windows being that desktop system for years, why would they change now? It's not like Ubuntu's (or any Linux distribution) user-base represents a significant part of Steam's userbase anyway.

Originally posted by middy
      If they didn't have to hire extra developers to fork gnome shell, mir, and create things like upstart
      systemd was created after upstart. Their store is the main selling point of Ubuntu, according to several users (I don't share this view as I'm really OK with synaptic, but to each their own).

Originally posted by araxth View Post
      Their own Mobile OS is currently live on Chinese smartphones (some Phoronix articles on this topic but more on other sites).
      IIRC, this phone is not in production yet, so I wouldn't say it *currently* lives.

I hate to break it to you guys but if it weren't for them doing things like forking gnome-shell, they wouldn't be so (as you call it) undeservingly popular. So shut up or do something awesome like them
      Unity and the store, your are right. Mir, upstart, bzr? End-users don't even know what they are. Anyway, upstart was there before systemd. I have no idea if bazaar was there before git or if it is the other way around, but I don't feel like checking now. If systemd and git are better right now than their Canonical counter part is a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by middy
        If they didn't have to hire extra developers to fork gnome shell, mir, and create things like upstart and their own store and rather used current standards like wayland and systemd they could easily cut developers cost.

Instead of needing a team of 30 developers or so they could have 10 - 15.
        The thing is, as a business it's better for them to have control on as many components of the stack along with their licenses, so they suit their requirements and to be able to differentiate themselves.

But then I wonder how Red Hat manages to top 1 billion $ revenue while mostly staying on the default stack (and contributing to it).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          LOL

I hear you brother!

PS: Actually, i don't hate them, i just don't like the fact that they get too much attention from the media. They do not deserve it...
          Canonical is just another Apple-wannabe.
          But it doesn't and maybe never will have a solid technical or HCI foundation like Apple already had.

Comment

no china?

this a normal result, need to see this year if they acomplish what they want or if they fail

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post
              Good, I hope they rot in hell.
              Considering the extreme temperatures on some places on Earth lately and an extended definition of "rot" as in decay by lack of profit instead of by fungi and bacteria then Canonical is already rotting in hell... like many other companies!

And yes, I registered just to post this.
              I don't like some choices from Canonical as well but registering to post a hate message? you seriously need a vacation...

Comment

Technical superiority has nothing to do with being the most popular. When I show someone something like Linux Mint they're like, oh it's like Windows, but it doesn't run Windows... When I show someone Ubuntu they're like, oh it looks like a Mac! And if they liked the idea of a Mac in the first place but were turned off by the high price, they'd go for Ubuntu instead. If they were thinking of getting Windows cause they needed Windows they aren't going to choose mint.

Ubuntu is seriously the most popular desktop Linux distro among the general population. If you're a programmer and you love Debian, Fedora or Mint, knock yourself out, but don't smear your crap about Ubuntu all over these forums.

Edit: Also, yes I believe Upstart was up and working before systemd was stable enough for the average user.
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 14 January 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Canonical is just another Apple-wannabe.
                  But it doesn't and maybe never will have a solid technical or HCI foundation like Apple already had.
                  This. Canonical is like Apple or Google except without the success. Do not support them.

Comment

i know, dont feed the trolls, but

i would have used ubuntu if it still stuck on gnome 2 desktop (no 3d necessary AT ALL! *thumbs up*) so there goes unity

Mir vs. Wayland ... seriously? i still haven't heard any real arguments in favour of mir that wayland cannot do. If its leaner cause ubuntu devs say, that ubuntuusers dont need certain features, its ok. Still it would probably have been easier to make unity(2d?) a wayland based client/DE/shell (whatever)
                    there goes Mir...

actually i feel a little insecure, when i propose ubuntu to newbies (example elderly people that dont want to worry about viruses and causing mayhem to settings or deleting files that shouldnt be deleted) about the shops that you cannot even get rid of (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and that the amazon symbol is stalking my shopping attempts...

so going back to why i use ubuntu and not arch or gentoo or fedora? its simple to install and i know how to maintain it with a reasonable amount of time and knowledge. i know that because of its size there are partners ready to admit, that ubuntu may have some weight as a userbase, there will be precompiled binaries that are easy to install. which means its not canonicals recent developements success.

and i by the way consider the software center a bloody blackbox. i have absolutely no possibility whatsoever to see what is actually being installed. All hails synaptic! a tool to set the system back to defaults would be nice. like the janitor once was. and using packages that are beyond debian levels i would consider a real effort. like getting vdpau-compiled, s3tc and floating point enabled (with a little read where its legal to use) mesa packages (if stable)

and as said before som customizability on the desktop would be nice, like the time for osd events displayed. and like it was in 9.10 i think... the amount. 1 is just too few. screens are so freaking huge these days. make it 3 and it will still not cover a remarkable amount of the screen. or change position of the OSD. some people might use applications that require visibility in the top right corner.

and some control over startup events and automatically done tasks would be nice. as it seems disabling searching automatically for updates it does not disable ubuntu to still search for them, which i consider mayhem.

yet another thing. loading all these shops into the installation image while not porting vim to python 3 making it necessary to still ship python 2.7 and saying that they have to worry about image size makes me really wonder...

has anyone successfully used empathy?

the ease to use is the only thing that really binds me to ubuntu.

(trolls shall be shat, or the other way around..)

Comment

Technical superiority has nothing to do with being the most popular. When I show someone something like Linux Mint they're like, oh it's like Windows, but it doesn't run Windows... When I show someone Ubuntu they're like, oh it looks like a Mac! And if they liked the idea of a Mac in the first place but were turned off by the high price, they'd go for Ubuntu instead. If they were thinking of getting Windows cause they needed Windows they aren't going to choose mint.

Ubuntu is seriously the most popular desktop Linux distro among the general population. If you're a programmer and you love Debian, Fedora or Mint, knock yourself out, but don't smear your crap about Ubuntu all over these forums.

Edit: Also, yes I believe Upstart was up and working before systemd was stable enough for the average user.
                      I pretty much agree with you, except you don't have to be a programmer to have a different taste on distribution than "the average user", and even if you like the same thing, some people "like" the Windows interface (the quotes are because I'm not sure if it's actual liking or just being used to) but don't *need* Windows, and those might as well fall for the most Windows-looking, the same way Mac lovers fall for Ubuntu for looking like Mac to some extent. Anyway, I know several non-programmers who like distros other than Ubuntu, and I also know people who started learning about free software, liked Ubuntu for being free software and became interested in programming (the ones I know, non-professional programming, but maybe someone else knows people who relized that was what made them for them, who knows) thanks to using it. Also, AFAIK upstart wasn't *only* up and running before systemd was stable enough, but IIRC it *existed* before systemd existed.

Comment

Working...
                      X