Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Won't Be Released Before August

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Won't Be Released Before August

While hat wearing Linux users are excited at large this morning about Red Hat partnering with CentOS, there's some unfortunate news if you're hoping for a new Fedora Linux release in the next few months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

my guess is this is to get as much Wayland stuff completed for F21, but this F21 release schedule seems more of a 7 if not a 8 month release cycle change, question is it Permanently or a Temp change in the release cycle . an going by Fesco i wouldnt hold out any hope it'll be released in August either. is it time to Jump ship over to OpenSuse? though my guess by the time F21 comes out they'll be working on Gnome3.14 by that time anyway so why cant Fedora just push the 3.12 update to Fedora20 users? it can be done IMO

maybe now that CentOS an Redhat have made love. whats the chances of Fedora changing Name? maybe to FedOS
    Last edited by Anvil; 08 January 2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      my guess is this is to get as much Wayland stuff completed for F21, but this F21 release schedule seems more of a 7 if not a 8 month release cycle change, question is it Permanently or a Temp change in the release cycle . an going by Fesco i wouldnt hold out any hope it'll be released in August either.
      One of main reasons is Fedora.next phase resulting from Flock 2013 conference with the formation of working groups post Fedora 20: server, workstation, cloud, base design and environment.
      is it time to Jump ship over to OpenSuse? though my guess by the time F21 comes out they'll be working on Gnome3.14 by that time anyway so why cant Fedora just push the 3.12 update to Fedora20 users? it can be done IMO
      Can you propose that suggestion to the mailing list?

Comment

It's good news.
        More time to properly implement Wayland and skip a rushed shitty release in Q2 2014 especially since it was supposed to support Wayland.

I wish it was scheduled for October 2014.
        Fedora 20 was also half-baked, the DVD version doesn't install for me, only the 900MB live version.

And oh.. getting rid of shitty childish names is also good.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          One of main reasons is Fedora.next phase resulting from Flock 2013 conference with the formation of working groups post Fedora 20: server, workstation, cloud, base design and environment.

Can you propose that suggestion to the mailing list?
          well since OpenSuse dropped Gnome3.10 into 12.3 my guess it can be done. better off posting to fedora-devel irc channel , Gnome-nuts are there an other devs are there not many devs use the mailing lists due to a certain someone

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

And oh.. getting rid of shitty childish names is also good.
            at the end of the day, when you go to get support they ask you for the version Number, not the name, so having names for releases was stupid to begin with

Comment

I sure can't complain about delayed releases.. just means I have to do less upgrades ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                well since OpenSuse dropped Gnome3.10 into 12.3 my guess it can be done. better off posting to fedora-devel irc channel , Gnome-nuts are there an other devs are there not many devs use the mailing lists due to a certain someone
                Don't bother. They won't do it. It's not the first time Fedora gets seriously out of sync with Gnome Shell. It's in their development policy, e.g. Fedora 18 gets gnome 3.6. Want Gnome 3.8? Wait for Fedora 19." Even serious issues don't expedite it.

Speaking of which, are there any news on Mesa 10 landing in F20? If not this may be what alone determines I switch to Arch Linux. Waiting few months for a major system component update makes a distro NOT-cutting-edge. I'm not having a go here. It's just a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  Don't bother. They won't do it. It's not the first time Fedora gets seriously out of sync with Gnome Shell. It's in their development policy, e.g. Fedora 18 gets gnome 3.6. Want Gnome 3.8? Wait for Fedora 19." Even serious issues don't expedite it.

Speaking of which, are there any news on Mesa 10 landing in F20? If not this may be what alone determines I switch to Arch Linux. Waiting few months for a major system component update makes a distro NOT-cutting-edge. I'm not having a go here. It's just a fact.
                  it doesnt make much sense to put Gnome 3.12.x into Fedora21 if its gonna come out in say August/September, Fedora Project would be better off IMO to push Gnome 3.12 to Fedora20 an concentrate on Gnome 3.14 for F21 since the Gnome release schedule should tell you that Gnome3.14 should be out around Aug/september if not a bit later anyway.pushing 3.12 into Fedora20 would give much more Wayland testing which they may even have to push Mesa10 into F20 also if they were to do what i said

Comment

I don't get why the reworked release process can't be postponed until F23. And also if Fedora does not switch to OBS and Kiwi, it'll be wasted time anyway. Red Hat could just throw all SRPMs into an OBS instance and get something unpolished running in a day or so. The tools work and they've been adopted by other projects like Mer and Tizen that both have zero roots in openSUSE.

I recently switched to Fedora from openSUSE on my new PC (no animosity against openSUSE, just the urge to try. something new) and Fedora is clearly missing the Github-like community spirit of fork, change, commit back (or don't commit back and be still fine) that both OBS and Ubuntu's Launchpad provide. Not only that but OBS supports Fedora as target already.
                    I strongly doubt that whatever Fedora creates will be so much better than OBS + Kiwi that it'll be worth the effort. OBS is so good, chances are, Fedora's solution won't even be of equal quality....

Comment

Working...
                    X