Fedora Users Still Have Mixed Feelings Over DNF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    That doesn't sound exactly like any of the yum problems we had around release, in fact. It coming from Apper kind of obscures things too - there's two extra layers in there (Apper itself and PK). Does the same thing happen if you use yum directly?
    Apper doesn't like it when I try to install fedora-eclipse (or any other group meta packages-- the packages without versions provided). It fires back with "The group type was not found. Please check your group list and try again. No packages were found in the kde-apps group for kde-apps-()meta." <--- Also happens with fedora-eclipse or any other meta package.

yum is fine when I do: yum install @fedora-eclipse.
    yum is fine when I do: yum group install "Fedora Eclipse."
    dnf is fine when I do: dnf group install "Fedora Eclipse."

Side question: Has anyone else noticed package-kit / apper / python acting strangely lately? I've got apper set up to automatically download, but not install, all updates and EVERYTIME its kicked in in the last like week or so the process will hit 99% CPU load and start sucking down memory until the entire system freezes, then the OOM Killer starts killing things off (today it killed Firefox, plugin-container, and Skype before the entire system just deadlocked and I had to do a hard shutdown). System has 4Gb's of RAM and 4GB's of SWAP on an SSD so python / packagekit / apper would have had to tear its way through 1-2GBs of RAM and 4GBs of SWAP in about.. a minute and a half for that to happen.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Apper doesn't like it when I try to install fedora-eclipse (or any other group meta packages-- the packages without versions provided). It fires back with "The group type was not found. Please check your group list and try again. No packages were found in the kde-apps group for kde-apps-()meta." <--- Also happens with fedora-eclipse or any other meta package.

yum is fine when I do: yum install @fedora-eclipse.
      yum is fine when I do: yum group install "Fedora Eclipse."
      dnf is fine when I do: dnf group install "Fedora Eclipse."
      Sounds like you have a problem with Apper, then, rather than yum...I'd file a bug. and no, I haven't noticed that happening, but I'm on GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        Sounds like you have a problem with Apper, then, rather than yum...I'd file a bug. and no, I haven't noticed that happening, but I'm on GNOME.
        It's an Apper issue, definitely. Last time I checked on Google+, Richard Hughes was having a talk with the Apper team about this.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthOobit View Post
          I remember when Fedora was fun. All this NIH bullshit these days is annoying the crap out of me. As if systemd wasn't bad enough.
          So you dislike that Fedora uses technologies not invented by Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            It's an Apper issue, definitely. Last time I checked on Google+, Richard Hughes was having a talk with the Apper team about this.
            There is no Apper team. Apper is a project by Daniel Nicoletti who gets easier destracted than the dog in Pixar's Up. Apper's code has not been touched at all in the last 5 months: https://projects.kde.org/projects/ex...per/repository

Muon got a PackageKit a while ago and Muon revieves lots of development activity: https://projects.kde.org/projects/ex.../muon/activity

Comment

Working...
            X