No announcement yet.

Parted Magic Continues Being Commercial-Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish him all the luck, he will need it, but I do support his choice.

Linux-savy users will just boot whatever they have at hand, ubuntu livecd, debian-gtk PXE, it won't matter they'll mange to do their tasks.

Less-savy users, mostly from the M$ crowd, will need something that works, have no clue, and figure 'it is like partition magic'. If they buy it for their company, which doesn't care about 5 - 50 USD. Great, we'll see updated sources that benefit all, payed by them.

Comment

I always just used the GPartEd LiveCD for all my partitioning needs, so I don't really see why one would want to use Partition Magic...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        I always just used the GPartEd LiveCD for all my partitioning needs, so I don't really see why one would want to use Partition Magic...
        That's exactly my point, why pay for Parted magic when Gparted is free and available on Ubuntu live CD? (and perhaps other distributions..)

Comment

GPL compliant

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          While I wish him luck, I consider this form of commercialization to be completely wrong.

If developer ships GPL + own modifications as distribution on CD, then:
          if his modifications are GPL too, he has to provide source to anyone, once public distributed; and he can't use any restrictions for further distribution even at zero cost.
          if he tries to avoid this, he has to use different license, I suggest proprietary; then he is in contraction with GPL concept and free software as is.
          You can find the source code in the document section. They aren't doing anything wrong or ilegal. Basically thay are charging for compiling.

Comment

Originally posted by migueleonm View Post
            You can find the source code in the document section. They aren't doing anything wrong or ilegal. Basically thay are charging for compiling.
            And for the convenience of not having to create your own live media, has I don't know any other distro with has many disk utility on their live version, even through most of the software, in Parted Magic, should be available in their repository.

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
              That's exactly my point, why pay for Parted magic when Gparted is free and available on Ubuntu live CD? (and perhaps other distributions..)
              I dunno, maybe to help fund the development of an excellent tool?

Free software should not equate starving developers.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                I dunno, maybe to help fund the development of an excellent tool?

Free software should not equate starving developers.
                Is Parted Magic made by the gparted developers? Does the money go to them? Otherwise, you are just paying for the mix, and while it takes work, I don't need it, I can as well do with a Xubuntu pendrive. I'd rather donate to the developers of the tool, instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  Is Parted Magic made by the gparted developers? Does the money go to them? Otherwise, you are just paying for the mix, and while it takes work, I don't need it, I can as well do with a Xubuntu pendrive. I'd rather donate to the developers of the tool, instead.
                  For some people you are right, I don't need it but it is useful and many people will find it useful too, it is more useful for windows users than for linux users. People can choose what to use.

Comment

This is a bit similar to that other godawful "spazzlinux" (or something along those lines) which was in a phoronix article some time ago. The one that claimed to be the most beautiful and fastest linux relase because the developer had tried to do some suboptimizations to APT.
                    I don't see any use for mot linux releases. Especially those that are nothing but remixes of some more popular release done by a one man dev-team.
                    Why are people using these? Why do I see reviews of linux distros? It's pointless. Maybe a handful of sysadmin tools change about a bit, and the default desktop environment and background image. Sheeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by migueleonm View Post
                      For some people you are right, I don't need it but it is useful and many people will find it useful too, it is more useful for windows users than for linux users. People can choose what to use.
                      Of course they can, I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing the counter argument only. Is it really supporting the developers, or some random individual making a distribution? I believe that's what makes or breaks the deal for several people here.

Comment

Working...
                      X