Ubuntu GNOME Might Fail To Do A 14.04 LTS Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    What? That's it? This news is just about it being LTS or not? Given the misleading title (on purpose of course), I'm surprised there aren't more (enraged and off-topic) comments.
    Actually, I didn't find the title misleading...

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      whats Lennart got to do with it? he only programs systemd AFAIK
      Lennart is knee deep in Gnome

Epic talk at 27c3, Berlin, Germany.Wolfgang 'datenwolf' Draxinger holds a talk aboutthe popular linux desktop 'Gnome'.But a lot of the information that he te...

he probably did a remake of the thing as we speak

Comment

Better title?

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Actually, I didn't find the title misleading...
        Maybe it would have been better to say, "Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 may not be LTS"?

It's a young project so we just may not be able to muster the support for an LTS until 16.06, but we're not dead or dieing.

Comment

Oops

Originally posted by lbsolost View Post

It's a young project so we just may not be able to muster the support for an LTS until 16.06, but we're not dead or dieing.
          I should have said "16.04"

Must still be some Dapper rolling around in my brain somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Which you can use in Mint or a zillion other Ubuntu-derivatives...
            Which, all being dependant on Ubuntu, makes them "totally pointless" according to kaprikawn. That's the point he was refuting to begin with, that Ubuntu is useless if you don't use Unity, which it clearly isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by corebob View Post
              Lennart is knee deep in Gnome

Epic talk at 27c3, Berlin, Germany.Wolfgang 'datenwolf' Draxinger holds a talk aboutthe popular linux desktop 'Gnome'.But a lot of the information that he te...
              I'm a system administrator of a large university network, too. Even in (theoretical) physics... And I don't have any of those problems. It seems to me, as if the guy is not that well informed. It's not easy for a speaker, if the audience is better informed...

he probably did a remake of the thing as we speak
              What thing do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by lbsolost View Post

Sure, there are better ways to make the sense more obvious, however, it's not as if Michael wrote:

"Ubuntu GNOME Might Fail To Do A 14.04 Release"

which is obviously wrong. The extra word "LTS" changes the meaning completely.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  I'm a system administrator of a large university network, too. Even in (theoretical) physics... And I don't have any of those problems. It seems to me, as if the guy is not that well informed. It's not easy for a speaker, if the audience is better informed...

What thing do you mean?
                  I mean the Gnome desktop

I think the speaker had many good points, and I think Pottering was rude and had mostly weak responses to the issues.
                  But I don't know if these issues has been fixed or not.

Potterings argument at the end, that you get it for free, is worthless. He should know that. Its about quality and free software, not about price.
                  At the same time I believe Pottering is able to get a lot done when he puts he's mind to it.

Comment

I mean the Gnome desktop

I think the speaker had many good points, and I think Pottering was rude and had mostly weak responses to the issues.
                    But I don't know if these issues has been fixed or not.
                    Yes, I think Pottering severely lacks social skills, however, that dosn't make him wrong. Especially the part about GDM and ConsoleKit. I see Draxinger's point concerning ConsoleKit and Wayland, but without this revoke system call, there is little you can do about it. And then, recommending pam_console ... that's ridiculous.

My favourite quote: "There is a reason why people do this. And sometimes, it would be so helpful if you'd actually ask people [...]"

Potterings argument at the end, that you get it for free, is worthless. He should know that. Its about quality and free software, not about price.
                    At the same time I believe Pottering is able to get a lot done when he puts he's mind to it.
                    I think the statement "it's free" is rather about changing the source, not the price of the software. He's right about sending patches instead of complaining. I've seen many people - people who are able to code - complaining about stuff and taken things for given, but then, they don't send patches to change the things they criticize. You don't have to adapt to the software, you can also adapt the software.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
                      Which, all being dependant on Ubuntu, makes them "totally pointless" according to kaprikawn. That's the point he was refuting to begin with, that Ubuntu is useless if you don't use Unity, which it clearly isn't.
                      Well from the user's perspective, as an operating system, it is. I think it was meant as, no one needs to use Ubuntu unless they want to use Unity. Ubuntu may still be useful as a base for distros, but the end users don't necessarily need to worry about such things.

Comment

Working...
                      X