Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft SIlverlight Proposed For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Microsoft SIlverlight Proposed For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

A proposal has been submitted for having Microsoft Silverlight plug-in support in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as part of the main archive via the Pipelight project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are they beating this undead horse?

Comment

I though Silverlight was dead? Even Microsoft has abandoned it.

Comment

I think is great how much progress and success the pipelight project has had, BUT...... we should keep hacking-emulated-things out of distros by default. That goes double for an Ubuntu LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          because to some, it's not a horse but a pinata, and there are still goodies yet to come out of it.

But really, the smarter decision would for Netflix to move away from silverlight. Considering how huge their userbase is, and the relatively large % of that userbase being non-Windows users, it really makes no sense. Even Flash would have been a smarter decision.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
            Silverlight 5 is supported by MS until 10/12/2021 and many online streaming services still use it.

Comment

Netflix uses it. Allot of people use netflix. Yeah, silverlight is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
                I wish. All the TV stations in my country offer their programmes on the Internet using Silverlight. And Moonlight is not enough, just doesn't work... So for me, Pipelight is a very good solution, as I do not think they will change their backwards ways anytime soon...

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  You mean "dead" horse.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    You mean "dead" horse.
                    how do you know? Considering it was pronounced dead and is still alive "undead" is right on the money!

Comment

Working...
                    X