Fedora 20 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Fedora upgrade has always been pretty scary. Usually what I do, is backup my home partition (and maybe var, depending on the installation), unplug my data disks, wipe, install, restore home. Its the most foolproof/clean way to upgrade an OS.
    FWIW Thus far I've fedup'ed 10/10 physical machines (6 servers, 3 workstations, 1 laptop) and 2 VMs, with ~20 VMs on the way.
    Beyond the fedup v 0.7 issue and some minor issues with missing libreoffice upgrades (that were solved in the first yum update), I've yet to encounter any serious issues on any of my servers, workstations or VMs.
    I am facing issues running bumblebee-nvidia on my laptop (nvidia-kmod refuses to start), but I don't have time to take a look at it.

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      FWIW Thus far I've fedup'ed 10/10 physical machines (6 servers, 3 workstations, 1 laptop) and 2 VMs, with ~20 VMs on the way.
      Beyond the fedup v 0.7 issue and some minor issues with missing libreoffice upgrades (that were solved in the first yum update), I've yet to encounter any serious issues on any of my servers, workstations or VMs.
      I am facing issues running bumblebee-nvidia on my laptop (nvidia-kmod refuses to start), but I don't have time to take a look at it.

- Gilboa
      The LibreOffice messages should stop happening soon, or have stopped happening already, for most people - a newer LibreOffice has now landed in F20 updates.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        The LibreOffice messages should stop happening soon, or have stopped happening already, for most people - a newer LibreOffice has now landed in F20 updates.
        I know. I've just updated a couple of other machines and did not get the missing dep message.
        Oh, and bumblebee is working just fine once I loaded the nVidia driver by hand. Most likely the bumble systemd service was down. For now, fedup 19-20 looks *very* solid - at least in my farm

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Thanks Hamish! Glad it worked out well for you.

No, seriously, we added GeoIP support - if we manage to bring the network up early enough, we use GeoIP to get a location guess based purely on your IP address, which is usually close enough for making a decent guess at your locale and timezone.

The GeoIP stuff is new in 20, and we fixed quite a lot of bugs and bad designs in the language and keyboard settings stuff for 20. We did fix a lot of bugs in partitioning too, though that's such a huge area there are certainly more remaining.

Again, glad you enjoyed it!
          Seriously??? Well, I suppose it had to happen. So much for "Free as in Freedom" I was glad to read Hamish's comment as well, as fc20 Heisenbugz hasn't yet worked out for me at all. I first tried fedupping a fc19 partition, but ran out of space in /var/tmp/fedora-upgrade. Fortunately I had an overly-generous swap partition before and 36GB unused after my (6) install partitions, and after a bit of gpartediting from openSuSE and CentOS was able to expand the fc19 partition and a new fc20 as well. With the last in hand, I (wisely) decided to postpone upgrading fc19 until after learning whether Heisenbugz was in any way useful for me, and set about a stock Gnome install from the fc20 install DVD oh woe is me.

Selected custom partitioning and Anaconda reports unhandled segv in python swapon() if I don't select a swap partition. Okay, select the swap partition. But it (apparently, sure hope I'm wrong) wouldn't let me complete the swap partition selection without selecting "reformat swap". Okay, fine. Its just swap. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, that would depend on how "wrong" one considers changing the uuid of the reformatted partition. Anaconda did give the option of specifying the new uuid, which was a nice gesture, but not quite as nice a gesture as would have been keeping the original uuid by default. With freshly formatted swap partition and its newly-minted uuid in hand, I next learned tune2fs -U <uuid> wouldn't work on swap partitions? (Really?). I think I must have learned this on openSuse 13.1, as neither CentOS or fc19 would boot against the new swap uuid. I think. I think openSuse uses /dev/disk/by-id rather than by-uuid, but it was late at night and I didn't take notes. I did run dracut from CentOS' install DVD rescue mode, and fixed that problem, and may have then booted CentOS to run its dracut against fc19 to fix that as well. Anyway, all is good with my world except for Heisenbugz (Remember Heisenbugz? This rant is about Heisenbugz) which booted fine the first time, after which ensued a particularly painful experience with its new PackageKit front-end, but successfully updated, and safely escaped back to Schodinger where I examined the fc20/usr/bin and found yum was indeed alive and well what a relief. Rebooted back to fc20 to see if Cinnamon was still available, or Xfce, only to be confronted with the recursive-login loop problem which I'm clueless to fix but will try updating from rescue mode and see if that helps. If not its another "clean" fc20 install, and verify whether Anaconda really does (or doesn't) require swap reformat.

How I Spent My Christmas Vacation. Glad fc20 worked out for Hamish, lends some hope for the holidaze. The good noose is Schrodinger's remains Teh Best Fedora Evah and I'm glad I didn't change it.

Thanks to Adam and Rahul for participating, holding our hands, and enduring the odd rant. I'll work though this -- eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
            I know. I've just updated a couple of other machines and did not get the missing dep message.
            Oh, and bumblebee is working just fine once I loaded the nVidia driver by hand. Most likely the bumble systemd service was down. For now, fedup 19-20 looks *very* solid - at least in my farm

- Gilboa
            Mind posting what exactly did you do for bumblebee?

Comment

Catalyst propietary drivers doesn't work on Fedora 20, I'm stuck at F19

Comment

Originally posted by maxtorete View Post
                Catalyst propietary drivers doesn't work on Fedora 20, I'm stuck at F19
                Do NOT upgrade to F20! Catalyst crashes and I am now stuck in limbo. I have to distro-sync back to F19.

Comment

Okay. I'm back and my Heisenbug is good. The yum update from rescue DVD fixed the recursive-login problem so I didn't need to reinstall, and Cinnamon and yumex are better than ever. qt-5.2.0 is available, but not qtcreator-3.0.0, which I assume is a readily-corrected packaging oversight. But the version I compiled last week on Schrodinger's works fine on fc20, so I'm happy.

Comment

Any news on availability of Mesa 10 and Xorg 1.15 in Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                      Mind posting what exactly did you do for bumblebee?
                      Added the bumblebee and bumblebee-nonfree repos from fedora-bumblebee [1].
                      Installed the missing bits (bumblebee-nvidia, VirtualGL, VirtualGL.i686, bbswitch, primus and primus.i686).
                      Make sure the bumblebee-nvidia.service and bumblebeed.service services are enabled and running.

... And that's it (I used this in Fedora 18, which was later fedup'ed to 19 and than 20).

- Gilboa
                      [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee

Comment

Working...
                      X