Fedora 20 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    The Gnome Notification centre, it used to list available WiFi networks and allow you to turn on/off WiFi from the desktop, now that's all buried in the settings application.
    Not true. Click on the wifi connection that is active and you will get a menu that allows you to toggle it easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Does steam and steam games work without problems in Fedora? Will the kernel be updated to 3.12?
      3.12, yes. Fedora's update policy is at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updat...kernel_package. Steam is available in RPM Fusion. Since they bundle everything in a single runtime, distribution specific problems are unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Not true. Click on the wifi connection that is active and you will get a menu that allows you to toggle it easily.
        What about new connections? I know you have to dive into the settings panel to connect to a new WiFi network.

Comment

What about new connections? I know you have to dive into the settings panel to connect to a new WiFi network.
          Yet another incorrect assertion. If you don't know, just look at it. It takes a few seconds to verify that you are wrong. The same menu I referred to earlier has three options, 1) select network 2) turn off/on 3) wifi settings

Comment

Yet another incorrect assertion. If you don't know, just look at it. It takes a few seconds to verify that you are wrong. The same menu I referred to earlier has three options, 1) select network 2) turn off/on 3) wifi settings
            None of those options were available when I was using my desktop. Fedora never gave the option to install proprietary firmware (which is highly inconvenient and should be offered like Ubuntu does), although it detected I had WiFi there were no options in the menu.

EDIT: Fedora doesn't let you choose where to install the bootloader with the GUI installer any more either, which prevents me from running it since I have to use a 3rd party bootloader that only recognises bootloaders on the first partition.

Comment

None of those options were available when I was using my desktop. Fedora never gave the option to install proprietary firmware (which is highly inconvenient and should be offered like Ubuntu does), although it detected I had WiFi there were no options in the menu.

EDIT: Fedora doesn't let you choose where to install the bootloader with the GUI installer any more either, which prevents me from running it since I have to use a 3rd party bootloader that only recognises bootloaders on the first partition.
              All those options I listed are always available

Fedoraproject.org makes it very clear that Fedora is focused on free software and it has never suggested or installed proprietary drivers ever since it was created over 10 years ago. There are other options like http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/ if you want to deal with third party drivers. GRUB 2 has deprecated the option to install the bootloader into any partition. That isn't a Fedora specific change.

Comment

Fedoraproject.org makes it very clear that Fedora is focused on free software and it has never suggested or installed proprietary drivers ever since it was created over 10 years ago. There are other options like http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/ if you want to deal with third party drivers.
                Great, so I'll just connect to my wireless to download the drivers...
                You see the problem with this scenario, it just doesn't work.

GRUB 2 has deprecated the option to install the bootloader into any partition. That isn't a Fedora specific change.
                Terrible, terrible idea by the GRUB team. This completely locks me out of using Fedora in this way, even though other distributions still offer the option to install GRUB2 wherever they like. Or, failing that, at least offer a bootloader through the installer that gives you the option to install in places other than the MBR.

Comment

Great, so I'll just connect to my wireless to download the drivers...
                  You see the problem with this scenario, it just doesn't work
                  Yes, it is indeed a problem with a contrived scenario.

How did you download Fedora in the first place? Use the same connection to download the drivers as well. Again, this isn't a new change. Fedora has never offered proprietary drivers and never will. There are other distros based on Fedora that do that sort of thing like Korora if you want that but Fedora itself will remain focused on free software.

GRUB2 upstream won't be overridden within Fedora but I personally use gummiboot and syslinux (extlinux) is available as a choice as well

If you want more fine grained control, use kickstart.

Comment

Still no icons in menus / gconf-editor not working?
                    I know they're enabled in gconf-editor by setting: desktop/gnome/interface buttons_have_icons and menus_have_icons https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/23116/how-to-fix-missing-icons-in-program-menus-and-context-menus/?answer=23117#post-id-23117 https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/23116/how-to-fix-missing-icons-in-program-menus-and-context-menus/ But it doesn't work on my current install. Does anyone know how to fix this? Fedora 20 (F18 -> fedup to F19 -> fedup to F20). It used

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                      Still no icons in menus / gconf-editor not working?
                      http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1680505

gconf is not used in GNOME Shell at all. GNOME 3 uses dconf (and gsettings) and you should either use dconf-editor or gsettings in the command line though the particular tweak you are trying to make may not be supported in GNOME 3 anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X