Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta 1 Looks Great, Performance Is Great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pernila View Post
    Just making sure that REL 7.0 beta doesn't overclock the CPU.

On the PTS/Openbechmark specsheet the CPU frequency's differ?

-REL 6.5 @3.30GHz
    -REL 7.0 @4.19GHz
    Link to pic

Is this correct behavior, or a bug somewhere?
    I explain the difference right in the article on the page of that table...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
      sorry if I'm being dumb, but why do you need a GUI on a server? I guess it's handy for managing virtualised guests?
      I use CentOS on my workstation, which is basically a laptop that I use has a mobile virtualisation server.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
        I use CentOS on my workstation, which is basically a laptop that I use has a mobile virtualisation server.
        but Fedora can have all the virtualisation stuff on it too, and then you're not living with an antique operating system as a "desktop".. I just fired up an RHEL7.0b1 virtual machine with near zero effort on my fedora19 desktop computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I explain the difference right in the article on the page of that table...
          Shouldn't you use the same hardware to compare different OSes?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            As said in the article, it IS THE SAME hardware.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

but Fedora can have all the virtualisation stuff on it too, and then you're not living with an antique operating system as a "desktop".. I just fired up an RHEL7.0b1 virtual machine with near zero effort on my fedora19 desktop computer.
              Because I use it for work, you don't buy a mobile workstation just for the pleasure of it, unless you have money to burn, so I kind of want stability and reliability.

Comment

sorry if I'm being dumb, but why do you need a GUI on a server? I guess it's handy for managing virtualised guests?
                You don't need a GUI for a server. You need it for a workstation. I use RHEL6 Workstation both at home and at work.

RHEL Workstation is the only enterprise grade Linux workstation OS that includes many years of continuous updates and support. Most other distros like Fedora, etc. only update for a year or so, then they expect you to throw it all away and install the next version. They don't even offer an upgrade capability, you have to format your drive and reinstall the new version from scratch. That might work for a student or hobbyist, but does not work for professional use.

The Ubuntu LTR releases are a notable exception, but I like Red Hat's technical support better, and I'm RHEL Certified so I'm more comfortable using it over a debian-based distro.

Comment

The service life of Fedora is measured in months, while RHEL has many years of updates and vendor support.

RHEL6 which was released in 2010, has production support until 2021, and security fixes until 2024. Fedora 19 will be End of Life in less than a year from now.

Not everybody needs the latest gee-whiz desktop features and eye candy. We just need a stable supported OS to run our applications. Remember, Windows XP is twelve years old, but people are still using it. The only reason businesses are moving away from XP now is because the vendor support is ending.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 December 2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    You don't need a GUI for a server. You need it for a workstation. I use RHEL6 Workstation both at home and at work.

RHEL Workstation is the only enterprise grade Linux workstation OS that includes many years of continuous updates and support. Most other distros like Fedora, etc. only update for a year or so, then they expect you to throw it all away and install the next version. They don't even offer an upgrade capability, you have to format your drive and reinstall the new version from scratch. That might work for a student or hobbyist, but does not work for professional use.

The Ubuntu LTR releases are a notable exception, but I like Red Hat's technical support better, and I'm RHEL Certified so I'm more comfortable using it over a debian-based distro.
                    You forgot SUSE, who are actually way more important then Ubuntu in the enterprise market, they have over 6 time the of Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      ....Grats to Michael for restraining in his reply, cuz I like you and still wanted to smack you after reading this post -_-
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X