Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serge View Post
    I am surprised that there is no 32-bit x86 support. I know this is anecdotal evidence at best, but I seed Debian and OpenSUSE torrents, and 32-bit looks to be more popular than 64-bit with Debian downloaders and almost as popular as 64-bit with OpenSUSE downloaders.
    Well, several community distributions already default to 64 bit versions but even otherwise, the enterprise linux market is very different. If you want to use things like virtualization or high end databases etc on a large number of systems, you want 64-bit anyway and it takes several years after a new release of RHEL for customers to seriously deploy it. If you are conservative on hardware architecture, you will likely stick with an older version. Most of the customers I expect would be still quite happy with RHEL 5 and even EL4. The subscription model of Red Hat is not based on selling new versions since subscriptions are not tied to any particular version (ie) RHEL 7 will be a free upgrade to existing customers and they can choose whatever supported version they want.

@Eric, Updating to a new upstream version even around the beta cycle stage is very expensive because of how QA and certifications processes are affected by such a change. Red Hat typically cherry picks hundreds of changes from newer versions anyway so the baseline version is often pretty misleading.

Comment

What a hell? There is no open Beta? I remember when RHEL6 beta came out, they gave access to the beta to non-subscribers. Now nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
        What a hell? There is no open Beta? I remember when RHEL6 beta came out, they gave access to the beta to non-subscribers. Now nothing.

Comment

Thanks, downloading now.

I have at first followed a link on that press release, and it required subscription.

Comment

"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta 1 is based upon the Fedora 19 package set and the upstream Linux 3.10 kernel"

I think that it's actually based on Fedora 18. There are many changes from F19.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              @Eric, Updating to a new upstream version even around the beta cycle stage is very expensive because of how QA and certifications processes are affected by such a change. Red Hat typically cherry picks hundreds of changes from newer versions anyway so the baseline version is often pretty misleading.
              Thanks for the reply Rahul

Is there an official "Features Page" set up yet? I don't really have a spare machine (or spare disk space for a VM) to play around with it so I was hoping of a way to see what exactly was making up the release, such as what version of systemd, maybe highlights of cherry-picked kernel changes, what Xorg and Mesa, things like that.

Also, as someone else pointed out: despite the baseline being F18 or F19, is RH using that version of the new Anaconda installer? Just asking because the F20 installer, while not radically different than F19, had a few positive changes and clarifications for the install process.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

BTW. Last week I predicted that RedHat is testing RHEL 7 public beta... Let's try to predict when it will be released. Beta 2 will be released before Red Hat Summit 2014 in San Francisco - 2014-Mar. Final version might be released around 2014-Sep. Does anyone better foresee dates?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Thanks for the reply Rahul

Is there an official "Features Page" set up yet? I don't really have a spare machine (or spare disk space for a VM) to play around with it so I was hoping of a way to see what exactly was making up the release, such as what version of systemd, maybe highlights of cherry-picked kernel changes, what Xorg and Mesa, things like that.

Also, as someone else pointed out: despite the baseline being F18 or F19, is RH using that version of the new Anaconda installer? Just asking because the F20 installer, while not radically different than F19, had a few positive changes and clarifications for the install process.
                  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/bet...4/os/Packages/

Comment

Danke

Also fixed your URL to be http not FTP
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Responding my own question: anaconda will be version 19, not 20.. =/

Comment

Working...
                      X