Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Still Working On Stripping Python 2

Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Working On Stripping Python 2

Ubuntu developers are still working to remove Python 2 packages from the installation media on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't really see the need for this. It's obvious that python 2 is here to stay for some years more for developers and with them having moved past the CD-size limitation anyways it doesn't seem like a big problem to leave it there for a few more releases.

Comment

Fedora Moving to Python 3

Fedora is also trying to move to python 3 by default.

I've started writing new scripts in python 3 to keep up with the times and become more familiar with python 3 (though it's very similar to python 2, naturally).

Comment

Originally posted by hernil View Post
        I don't really see the need for this. It's obvious that python 2 is here to stay for some years more for developers and with them having moved past the CD-size limitation anyways it doesn't seem like a big problem to leave it there for a few more releases.
        Same argument for the past few releases.

Comment

Originally posted by hernil View Post
          A few more, then a few more, when does it stop? Python2 is dead, it's in maintenance mode getting only bug fixes, and even that will end in about 18 months. Better to move on your own time table than to wait until you run into a problem that won't be fixed and are forced to scramble getting things together.

Comment

I wonder if someone will fork Python 2 and call it Pyte or something...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              I wonder if someone will fork Python 2 and call it Pyte or something...
              Indeed. I like Python but its development model is fundamentally broken. Like with most other Linux stuff, they release a new version incompatible with previous versions and distros start forcing the new version down the users' throats. Lack of backward compatibility is bad for applications, disastrous for regular PLs and just plain unacceptable for interpreted PLs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                A few more, then a few more, when does it stop?
                Ideally, never. I don't fancy my code being obsoleted at some PL maintainer's whim.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  Indeed. I like Python but its development model is fundamentally broken. Like with most other Linux stuff, they release a new version incompatible with previous versions and distros start forcing the new version down the users' throats. Lack of backward compatibility is bad for applications, disastrous for regular PLs and just plain unacceptable for interpreted PLs.
                  Backwards incompatible changes were necessary to clean up the language.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    Ideally, never. I don't fancy my code being obsoleted at some PL maintainer's whim.
                    And I'm sure that PL maintainer doesn't fancy the extra work and time required to maintain old versions just because some programmers can't be bothered to update their code.

Comment

Working...
                    X