Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Planning A Linux 3.13 Franken Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Planning A Linux 3.13 Franken Kernel

Today at the virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit it was generally agreed upon that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be targeting the Linux 3.13 kernel to power the distribution, but there's a chance 3.14 might happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kernel...

better to use a *BSD kernel....it fits well with ubuntu standards

Comment

I have no idea what to make out of this.

It's a friggin' LTS release that will be supported for 3 years, can't they just wait an additional 2 - 3 months for 3.14 to be released so that they can have a stable kernel with proper Broadwell support instead of going with their monster, neither-here-nor-there 3.13 + backported Broadwell DRM chunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        I have no idea what to make out of this.

It's a friggin' LTS release that will be supported for 3 years, can't they just wait an additional 2 - 3 months for 3.14 to be released so that they can have a stable kernel with proper Broadwell support instead of going with their monster, neither-here-nor-there 3.13 + backported Broadwell DRM chunk?
        It will be supported for 5 years. Also, Ubuntu 14.04.2 will include the Ubuntu 14.10 stack (Linux 3.16 etc.) anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know why they won't just delay it a little bit and release it as Ubuntu 14.06 LTS or something. Why does it HAVE to come out in April? I can tell you I just tried out Ubuntu 13.10, and it could really have used an extra few months of polish (I realize it isn't an LTS, but still). I went to 13.04 because of too many bugs.

Comment

Because some companies plan there server upgrade ahead of the release.

Comment

I don't really get it. They don't want to use a 3.14 kernel because they fear it will not be thoroughly tested by the time of the release, but they'd prefer to do a back port of big amounts of 3.14 code to 3.13, getting an even less tested solution. Does anybody else think that just going 3.14 makes more sense, even without the delay? I mean, they'll have the support they want, it will actually have more test coverage than a 3.13 with bock ported code.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                I don't really get it. They don't want to use a 3.14 kernel because they fear it will not be thoroughly tested by the time of the release, but they'd prefer to do a back port of big amounts of 3.14 code to 3.13, getting an even less tested solution. Does anybody else think that just going 3.14 makes more sense, even without the delay? I mean, they'll have the support they want, it will actually have more test coverage than a 3.13 with bock ported code.
                Yes, exactly.

Comment

I just realized I wrote "bock ported". I chuckled a bit.

Comment

Hehe, does that mean it is bagpipe ported? To my limited knowledge bagpipes don't have many ports, else they will deflate too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X