Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 20 Beta Is Finally Out & With Great Features

Phoronix: Fedora 20 Beta Is Finally Out & With Great Features

While it's been challenged by delays, Fedora 20 "Heisenbug" Beta was released today. Fedora 20 hopes to ship officially next month and this is one of the last chances to test out this next Fedora Linux release to make a meaningful difference in tracking down any lingering bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny that he does not mention Wayland in the release announcement. Even the 'full' changeset in the Wiki has no trace of Wayland nor Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
      Funny that he does not mention Wayland in the release announcement. Even the 'full' changeset in the Wiki has no trace of Wayland nor Weston.
      That is because it was announced some time ago that making Wayland the default has been pushed back to the next release. I'm perfectly fine with that as well. I'd rather them take their time and get it right than rush a buggy POS out the door to satisfy people with no patience. Xorg has been working fine all of this time, i'm in no hurry to switch. Let them get it right before release. That is how things should work, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
        Originally posted by https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Wayland;
        This change is targeted at F21. For F20, we aim for having an experimental GNOME shell Wayland compositor available, without necessarily having all the surrounding desktop infrastructure ported.
        Because its not really an official CHANGE on Red Hat's part. Its a side effect of getting a recent Gnome and recent Wayland version together. At most they are shipping a desktop file for session switching, and im not even sure if they are doing that..
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by BluPhenix316 View Post
          That is because it was announced some time ago that making Wayland the default has been pushed back to the next release. I'm perfectly fine with that as well. I'd rather them take their time and get it right than rush a buggy POS out the door to satisfy people with no patience. Xorg has been working fine all of this time, i'm in no hurry to switch. Let them get it right before release. That is how things should work, in my opinion.
          Agreed. Fedora is quite on the bleeding edge, some I'm ready to use it with some technology that is not completely stable yet, but no need to rush things.
          A Gnome wayland test preview is largely enough for now.

Comment

Originally posted by BluPhenix316 View Post
            No,
            They planned a preview release of Wayland and didn't deliver, yet, not as an option in the GUI as expected and not for AMD/ nouveau.
            And no, Wayland's in the works for 5+ years hence "people without patience" doesn't apply, it's more like "people tired of waiting".

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              No,
              They planned a preview release of Wayland and didn't deliver, yet, not as an option in the GUI as expected and not for AMD/ nouveau.
              And no, Wayland's in the works for 5+ years hence "people without patience" doesn't apply, it's more like "people tired of waiting".
              Radeon should be working fine with Wayland unless its some weird Fedora bug o.O I was playing around with weston on Arch on my old laptop months ago.

And yeah, maybe Wayland HAS taken awhile but its a big pile of work going from "Here's a protocol description, RFC." To working, to getting everything thats needed, to getting the desktop environments to start their porting efforts. And in KDE's case they had to wait on Qt5 before they could start, idk what kept Gnome from going full throttle on wayland porting.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                And yeah, maybe Wayland HAS taken awhile but its a big pile of work going from "Here's a protocol description, RFC." To working, to getting everything thats needed, to getting the desktop environments to start their porting efforts. And in KDE's case they had to wait on Qt5 before they could start, idk what kept Gnome from going full throttle on wayland porting.
                Porting the toolkit alone isn't enough for a desktop environment. There are typically a lot more hidden X dependencies to be flushed out.

Comment

Anybody got livecd working in virtual box? It hangs during boot for me. While Ubuntu 13.04 works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    idk what kept Gnome from going full throttle on wayland porting.
                    They *have* been working hard on it for the past year or so, to the extent that they can do so. But for most of that time, it's not been something that you can just get a hundred people working on in parallel - it's been one or two people working on the core code, and working with Wayland to address gaps in the protocol, etc.

Don't underestimate the amount of effort involved in rewriting the internals of a project of this size to support a new platform, where support for multiple platforms had never before been a requirement. And even more so for supporting something new like Wayland which *nobody* has had to support before, requiring you to invent anything that's missing.

Comment

Working...
                    X