Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 14.1 Adds UEFI Support, Updated Software

Phoronix: Slackware 14.1 Adds UEFI Support, Updated Software

While Slackware is one of the oldest Linux distributions around, with its design on stability and simplicity it hasn't always been quick to adopt new features and functionality. Thursday marked the release of Slackware 14.1 and it's the first release to ship with x86_64 UEFI system support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally !

Time to download my favorite distro new version

Comment

I use -current and it has been completely stable for the whole development cycle, so it should be a very good release!
      Added to that AlienBob's KDE, OpenJDK, libreoffice and multilib packages (probably also some ffmpeg and vlc, I compile those myself but I guess some prefer packages) and you have a great desktop!

Comment

Good that non-major distributions can get UEFI booting too.

Red Hat can get UEFI booting because its a huge company, and Ubuntu too, because it has Canonical.
        But Slackware isn't developed by any big company, its developed by Patrick Volkerding...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Good that non-major distributions can get UEFI booting too.

Red Hat can get UEFI booting because its a huge company, and Ubuntu too, because it has Canonical.
          But Slackware isn't developed by any big company, its developed by Patrick Volkerding...
          I think you are confusing UEFI with Secure Boot. Slackware, as most distributions, is not able to boot on hardware with Secure Boot enabled.

Having said that, great news, can't wait for updates in -current like newer Mesa and stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X