Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 20 Has Been Delayed Yet Again

Phoronix: Fedora 20 Has Been Delayed Yet Again

The release of Fedora 20 has been delayed by another week -- both the due-out beta and the final release -- over unresolved bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it's great that they're willing to get bad press to make sure their product is high quality, unlike a certain other distribution that sticks to their schedule regardless of whether the release will be bug-ridden.

It's not so bad with Fedora to wait awhile, considering they keep their packages very up to date (including kernels) so you don't need a new release to get newer versions of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirudo View Post
      unlike a certain other distribution that sticks to their schedule regardless of whether the release will be bug-ridden.
      Which distro is that? All popular time-based release distros that I am aware of have at least once delayed a release due to show-stopping bugs (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, OpenSUSE 12.2).

Comment

Originally posted by Shirudo View Post
        I think it's great that they're willing to get bad press to make sure their product is high quality, unlike a certain other distribution that sticks to their schedule regardless of whether the release will be bug-ridden.

It's not so bad with Fedora to wait awhile, considering they keep their packages very up to date (including kernels) so you don't need a new release to get newer versions of software.
        Yeah I used to run mainly Arch on all my computers but I've been slowly moving them over to Fedora. I still get the pretty new-ish software, but I also get to see things that aren't necessarily "stable" yet. For example dnf, or plasma-nm or SDDM, or Bluez5 (I included Bluez because KDE Bluetooth only technically supports Bluez4 but there's a git branch for Bluez5 support. As of Fedora 20 they are shipping the Bluez5 branch). Things that I would have had to compile from a random git commit with no idea of how stable they actually were.

Also the fact that its a complete 'package' makes it even better. Meaning on Arch my plymouth theme, login theme and desktop theme could all be different and there may not be an EASY way to get them all the same. Is it a big deal? Of course not. But the fact that it CAN be a 'complete package' on Fedora just makes the system feel better. Also it makes it LOOK nicer if I want to show off Fedora to a friend or two.

While I'm definitely antsy to try out Fedora 20 stable (already tried Alpha, Skype and Eclipse were broken, and that wasn't acceptable for what I was doing at the time so I went back to 19), I'm also glad they are taking the time to make sure the bugs get ironed out.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Which distro is that? All popular time-based release distros that I am aware of have at least once delayed a release due to show-stopping bugs (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, OpenSUSE 12.2).
          Ubuntu has delayed itself in the past, but there's been a few releases in the last couple years where they said "We know its broken. But the updates are coming down." So instead of just pushing the release a week or so they instead make everyone install with broken install images, then download launch day patches to fix things. It was when they started doing things like that, that I moved onto Arch and Fedora lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Yeah I used to run mainly Arch on all my computers but I've been slowly moving them over to Fedora.
            I'm on the contrary. I've tried like 10 distributions since the first time I installed Linux (RedHat 5.2 in 1997 if I recally correctly), and the only one I feel comfortable with is Arch. Unlike other distributions, It gives me full control of my system.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              I'm on the contrary. I've tried like 10 distributions since the first time I installed Linux (RedHat 5.2 in 1997 if I recally correctly), and the only one I feel comfortable with is Arch. Unlike other distributions, It gives me full control of my system.
              Which I can understand and even like that part of it too. But I like the feeling of having something to look forward to with new releases, also for the things coming up like the move over to Wayland I trust Fedora more than I trust myself to make sure all the pieces are in place and fitting properly haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Which I can understand and even like that part of it too. But I like the feeling of having something to look forward to with new releases, also for the things coming up like the move over to Wayland I trust Fedora more than I trust myself to make sure all the pieces are in place and fitting properly haha.
                People compare Arch and Fedora because they both tend to ship recent versions of software but the focus of these distributions are very different. Fedora isn't a rolling distro and doesn't aim to always include the very latest versions but instead be in the forefront of integrating new technologies like Wayland. A lot of upstream development is driven by or coordinated with Fedora and they try to push out changes in a more coherent fashion instead of just a bag of bits although some of this is more recent - http://lwn.net/Articles/572400/. It is a fairly flexible but opinionated model. If you want pure and absolute control, there are certainly other options.

Comment

Wonder what happened to their thoughts about delaying one release enough to catch up with the next Gnome version.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                    Wonder what happened to their thoughts about delaying one release enough to catch up with the next Gnome version.
                    Fedora 21 might be a longer release to give more time to develop QA automation tools and such and that might have the effect of sync with GNOME release schedules again but it is not going to be an explicit release goal afaik.

Comment

Working...
                    X