Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based Manjaro 0.8.8-RC1 Has A New Installer

Phoronix: Arch-Based Manjaro 0.8.8-RC1 Has A New Installer

Manjaro Linux 0.8.8-RC1 is now available and it features package management and installation improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yet another useless arch fork :/

Comment

Originally posted by nslqqq View Post
      I dont think so, its like arch but a lot easier to install and use, easier to install drivers and new kernels, and more stable, so, I think it's a very good distro.

Comment

Originally posted by nslqqq View Post
        Arch is useless for normal users. If a normal user wants access to AUR then Manjaro is their best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          ...and more stable
          Could you qualify that please and give me some examples. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            Arch is useless for normal users. If a normal user wants access to AUR then Manjaro is their best choice.
            Who is normal user? Why he will want to access AUR? 'Normal user' wouldn't know about AUR untill installation. He will install ubuntu and ppa. How it is different from regualr arch after installation? Stable bleeding edge? Huh. Proprietary graphics drivers? There are sufficient instructions on wiki. Multiple kernels? Yea thats definetly what normal user needs.

Comment

1) no normal user uses linux
              2) its yet another useless linux distro in general, not just arch based.

Comment

Since Arch does not have an installer anymore, I'd say Manjaro at least adds value by providing an installer.

I've never tried Manjaro, but I am a little wary of using their repositories instead of the official Arch ones. Although I guess Manjaro might add value there, too, since it seems like every few months, Arch has some change or glitch in their packages or configuration that requires manual user intervention, and if Manjaro can avoid that, it would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  I dont think so, its like arch but a lot easier to install and use, easier to install drivers and new kernels, and more stable, so, I think it's a very good distro.
                  I installed manjaro-cinnamon-0.8.6 a few days ago on my new pc and I quite like it so far
                  But I wouldn't recommend it to users who are new to linux, even if it has a installer and a more newbie-friendly community than Arch.

Comment

I'm using Manjaro with the KDE desktop for about a year now and am very pleased.
                    The installation was a breeze (although I didn't try the new, rewritten installer, which should be even better).
                    The newest Arch packages are moved to the unstable branch, are tested there for about 2-4 weeks until they are moved to testing, then stable. The chances that you as an enduser encounters problems get lower. You can switch between the branches as you like. I'm using testing since some time now, which is stable enough for me.
                    Before the packages land in stable, every problem, which would need user intervention using Arch (see their news section), is solved.

The biggest advantage for Arch/Manjaro for me is the AUR with almost every software you ever need (license doesn't matter)
                    You can't compare it to the PPAs, they work different and aren't as comfortable as the AUR is. Some of the aur packages can be found in the official Manjaro repositories already.

You can choose from up to 4 Linux kernel versions. Switching graphics drivers (free / proprietary) is easy as well.

The only problem I had was the configuration of Samba 4 (smb.conf), to make it work with Dolphins share feature. Back then in Ubuntu, it did work after the installation right away (Samba 3 though).

Believe it or not, but Manjaro is there to stay for some time in the Linux ecosystem as an distribution for advanced users

Comment

Working...
                    X